POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : dual G4 performance Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  dual G4 performance (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: dual G4 performance
Date: 8 Aug 2000 09:18:01
Message: <39900888@news.povray.org>
: The second CPU is not used at all if the an application does not use the
: so-called "Multiprocessing API" to create multiple threads.

  A more important issue would be if the OS can distribute several different
programs among the processors. That is, if I run two CPU-intensive programs,
does the OS run one of the with one processor and the other program in the
other processor?
  I think that's the most usual use of multitasking.

>   A more important issue would be if the OS can distribute several different
> programs among the processors. That is, if I run two CPU-intensive programs,
> does the OS run one of the with one processor and the other program in the
> other processor?
>   I think that's the most usual use of multitasking.

If multiple applications support multiprocessing this will be the case
(pre-emptive multithreading on Mac OS requires a specific API to create the
pre-emptive threads).  Also, if only one application supports it, it can use
the entire second processor while the other traditional applications share
one processor.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

: If multiple applications support multiprocessing this will be the case
: (pre-emptive multithreading on Mac OS requires a specific API to create the
: pre-emptive threads).  Also, if only one application supports it, it can use
: the entire second processor while the other traditional applications share
: one processor.

  So you mean that if you run just regular programs, which do not support
multiprocessing, the OS will be unable to distribute them among the processors
but they will all be run in the same processor?

  Doesn't sound funny.