POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : dual G4 performance : Re: dual G4 performance Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:26:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: dual G4 performance
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 8 Aug 2000 12:08:41
Message: <39903089$1@news.povray.org>
In article <39900888@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   A more important issue would be if the OS can distribute several different
> programs among the processors. That is, if I run two CPU-intensive programs,
> does the OS run one of the with one processor and the other program in the
> other processor?
>   I think that's the most usual use of multitasking.

If multiple applications support multiprocessing this will be the case
(pre-emptive multithreading on Mac OS requires a specific API to create the
pre-emptive threads).  Also, if only one application supports it, it can use
the entire second processor while the other traditional applications share
one processor.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde