POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Making Hair Meshes Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Making Hair Meshes (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Bryan Valencia
Subject: Making Hair Meshes
Date: 24 Jun 2000 19:54:59
Message: <39554AD4.390826F3@209software.com>
I LOVE the hair macro.

How do I make those "PCM" files, like 'sphere.pcm''?

I'd like to put hair on a head, not just meshes of primitives.

--
Bryan Valencia
Software Services

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Colefax
Subject: Re: Making Hair Meshes
Date: 24 Jun 2000 20:09:46
Message: <39554dca@news.povray.org>
Bryan Valencia <bry### [at] 209softwarecom> wrote:
> I LOVE the hair macro.
>
> How do I make those "PCM" files, like 'sphere.pcm''?
>
> I'd like to put hair on a head, not just meshes of primitives.

Would you believe I actually handcoded the *.pcm files that come with the
Compressed Mesh Macro File?!  Well, in a round-about way... I created two
POV scripts that outputted the standard mesh files, and then used Warp's
Mesh Compressor to convert them to the PCM format.

Provided you have a POV-Ray mesh or bicubic patch model (which might be
outputted from another program like Rhino or sPatch, or already converted
from a different format), Warp's compressor will allow you to use it with
the Compressed Mesh macros (including the Hair Generator).

The binaries and source for Warp's Compressor are available on my page
(http://www.geocities.com/ccolefax), along with the macros and a tutorial.

Post a reply to this message

>Mesh Compressor to convert them to the PCM format.
>
>Provided you have a POV-Ray mesh or bicubic patch model (which might be
>outputted from another program like Rhino or sPatch, or already converted
>from a different format), Warp's compressor will allow you to use it with
>the Compressed Mesh macros (including the Hair Generator).

just incase your wondering, but rhino only outputs triangle mesh's
currently. I had made a wish request for bicubic patch support, but it
wasn't picked up *sniff* (besides, bmrt provides native nurbs support....)