POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Digitizer? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Digitizer? (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Phead
Subject: Digitizer?
Date: 17 Jun 2000 02:11:07
Message: <394b167b$1@news.povray.org>
Hi all, Im new to Povray, and I think its great. I have a few quick Qs...

1) Are there any *cheap* digitizers out there for 3d models? I priced a few
upwards starting at $1200.  Maybe someone can explain why a mouse that can
move up and down would cost $1200. (I know, they are arms, but the idea is
the same as a simple x/y coord mouse, just with a z axis) No lasers or
ultrasound please. Perhaps someone has built a homemade digitizer and might
be willing to share the info?

2) Does anyone know of some websites of animation galleries? I can't say Ive
ever seen an AVI gallery before.  Id really like to see some longer length
animations.

3) And finally, can someone point me to the largest pov object collection
out there?

See, Im not much into modelling, but I do like the animation side of 3d. It
would be a really cool thing to put something really big together I think.
Is this over my head? Should i leave that to the Indutrial Light & Magics of
the world?  I dont want to do Jurassic Park, but I think a minor production
would be fun and educational. Maybe something in the space genre?

Post a reply to this message

"Phead" <sco### [at] d0gznetnospam> wrote in message
| Hi all, Im new to Povray, and I think its great. I have a few quick Qs...
|
| 1) Are there any *cheap* digitizers out there for 3d models? I priced a few
| upwards starting at $1200.  Maybe someone can explain why a mouse that can
| move up and down would cost $1200. (I know, they are arms, but the idea is
| the same as a simple x/y coord mouse, just with a z axis) No lasers or
| ultrasound please. Perhaps someone has built a homemade digitizer and might
| be willing to share the info?

I found this: http://www.3dscanner.com/  and they have scanners that can be
used to create 3D models for rendering programs at a price comparable to high
end 2D scanners.
Prices shown on the ordering page (not avail. until July 31, 2000):
http://www.3dscanner.com/order_form.htm
Not sure I completely understand this device or it's validity but it sure
looks good.

| 2) Does anyone know of some websites of animation galleries? I can't say Ive
| ever seen an AVI gallery before.  Id really like to see some longer length
| animations.

Neither have I.  They seem to be scattered around with a wide variety of
subjects and formats.

| 3) And finally, can someone point me to the largest pov object collection
| out there?

Another thing that's scattered about, POV-Ray scene and include files  :-)
You'd probably do good to take a look at the links in
http://www.povray.org/links/POV-Ray_Include_Macro_and_Object_Files/

| See, Im not much into modelling, but I do like the animation side of 3d. It
| would be a really cool thing to put something really big together I think.
| Is this over my head? Should i leave that to the Indutrial Light & Magics of
| the world?  I dont want to do Jurassic Park, but I think a minor production
| would be fun and educational. Maybe something in the space genre?

As do many people obviously.  I think your biggest challenge could be getting
a idea storyboarded into being first and foremost.  After that is the second
most difficult part, but I do wish you luck.

Bob

Post a reply to this message

> 2) Does anyone know of some websites of animation galleries? I can't say Ive
> ever seen an AVI gallery before.  Id really like to see some longer length
> animations.

Not AVI, but MPEG: The IRTC has probably one of the largest such galleries
at www.irtc.org

     Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> would be a really cool thing to put something really big together I think.
> Is this over my head? Should i leave that to the Indutrial Light & Magics
of
> the world?  I dont want to do Jurassic Park, but I think a minor
production
> would be fun and educational. Maybe something in the space genre?

Check out the Internet Movie Project. (Don't know the URL, but it should be
easy to find...)

Regards,
Dave

Post a reply to this message

> > 2) Does anyone know of some websites of animation galleries? I can't say
Ive
> > ever seen an AVI gallery before.  Id really like to see some longer
length
> > animations.
>
> Not AVI, but MPEG: The IRTC has probably one of the largest such galleries
> at www.irtc.org
>

>      Thorsten

Yep, I checked it out and man...my breath was quite taken away. And the
stills absolutely rock.  I truly feel like a hobbyist now :)

Thanks for the reply

Post a reply to this message

> used to create 3D models for rendering programs at a price comparable to
high
> end 2D scanners.
> Prices shown on the ordering page (not avail. until July 31, 2000):
> http://www.3dscanner.com/order_form.htm
> Not sure I completely understand this device or it's validity but it sure
> looks good.

Ooh yeah...now thats cool. Wonder how it works though.  Will have to keep an
eye on that one.

> Neither have I.  They seem to be scattered around with a wide variety of
> subjects and formats.

The raytracing competition has some awesome video.  Check the link at the
other reply to my original post.

> Another thing that's scattered about, POV-Ray scene and include files  :-)
> You'd probably do good to take a look at the links in
> http://www.povray.org/links/POV-Ray_Include_Macro_and_Object_Files/

Maybe we should start a site for that sole purpose. Unless these things are
copywritten or something.

> | See, Im not much into modelling, but I do like the animation side of 3d.
It
> | would be a really cool thing to put something really big together I
think.
> | Is this over my head? Should i leave that to the Indutrial Light &
Magics of
> | the world?  I dont want to do Jurassic Park, but I think a minor
production
> | would be fun and educational. Maybe something in the space genre?
>
> As do many people obviously.  I think your biggest challenge could be
getting
> a idea storyboarded into being first and foremost.  After that is the
second
> most difficult part, but I do wish you luck.
>
> Bob

Hey thanks for the advice and replies. I did read somewhere that the first
thing to do, even in a scene, is to plan.  I go in the wrong way and try
modelling first. I end up with a sphere, a plane, and sometimes a cone, all
nicely rendered. Oooh Ahhh... Maybe I need to sit down and think something
out. After all, when all else fails, plan.

:)

Thanks

Post a reply to this message