POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New POV-Ray page design ? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:26:02 EDT (-0400)
  New POV-Ray page design ? (Message 67 to 76 of 106)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Re: New POV-Ray page design ?
Date: 20 Jun 2000 12:49:03
Message: <394F9F66.4CD06668@my-dejanews.com>
Warp wrote:

>   The point is to show the rendering quality, not the modelling quality,
> since povray is a renderer, not a modeller.

Sez who? Speak for
yourself!http://www.geocities.com/pterandon/photos/povraystyleface.jpg

Personally I find a Poser-produced collection of dxf's more 'offensive' than an
sPatch-produced collection of patches, when touting what Pov can do.

Post a reply to this message

From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 20 Jun 2000 12:53:48
Message: <394FA083.84C7F1EC@my-dejanews.com>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> This is contrary to what any usability expert will tell you.  People want to
> know where they are and what the site is about.  The main page of any site
> is the most essential and apparently very important for the success of a
> site.
> If you want to know about how web design should be to work best, check out
> <www.useit.com>.

Dogbert wags his tail.........

Post a reply to this message

From: Matthew Bennett
Date: 20 Jun 2000 18:53:30
Message: <394ff5ea@news.povray.org>
"Simen Kvaal" <sim### [at] studentmatnatuiono> wrote in message
> OH THAT WOMAN ANNOYS ME!
>
> - It scares people away, because of the semi-nudity.

People aren't that Victorian, surely?...

> - It's so un-povish.

Meaning it's not made of a load of primatives stuck together?  Define what a
POV image looks like.

> - It's ugly.

It could be worse...

> No, seriously. I think that having a semi-nude model not even generated in
> Povray on the front page; splashing in your face like that can scare some
> people away; especially younger people. And _I'd_ doubt the seriousness of
> the product.

Sorry, but I really don't see it scaring away younger people... unless they
were rather sheltered 8 year olds or something, but in which case I doubt
they'd be too interested in POV development in any case.  Come on, be
realistic!

> And certainly no-one wants to claim that this is made in Povray. Rendered,
> perhaps, but that's not good enough; whatever reason the designer had to
put
> it up.

Why isn't it good enough?  Do we want to say "if you want to make any type
of image with POV, you've got to read the manual from cover to cover and
learn plenty of POV script"?  Or do we perhaps want to show a more complete
range of possibilities, which, surprisingly enough, does actually allow for
external design too ~without~ hand coding.  It's true.  Not everyone gets
their pleasures from POV by hand-coding every pixel themselves - some might
even argue it allows more time for creativity.

> And it's not a very pretty woman, either. Too skinny. That kind of woman
> that makes girls try to loose weight, and so on. I mean it.

Doesn't the suggestion of adding a fatter model to povray.org to discourage
teenage dieting sound just a little silly to you?  I very much doubt whether
a single teenage girl would intentionally visit the site anyway.

Sorry, I don't mean to take it all out on you but I've got a little fed up
of reading some of the complaints about that one image - I really didn't
think the POV community were quite so... erm... old, boring and dull (to put
it frankly).  With some, apparently increasingly rare, exceptions of course.
I don't mean to offend anyone (though quite obviously this post would have
done in any case) but it's all just a little frustrating.

Matt

Date: 20 Jun 2000 19:09:32
Message: <wb7lbkar15.fsf@infostream.no>
["Matthew Bennett" <ben### [at] btinternetcom>]
| People aren't that Victorian, surely?...

No but it looks pretty cheezy. POV-Ray doesn't need pictures of
scantily clad women to sell itself. Isn't the POV-Ray community
dominated by men? Is something we want? Doesn the semi-nude women help
in this regard?

But what really settles the issue for me is that she looks totally
misplaced, even though I get the nagging suspicion that povray.org's
new brown pallette was made to suit the woman, and not vice versa.
She makes the page 200-something pixels wider, and she ain't worth it.

--
Never attribute to malice that which
can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Post a reply to this message