POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New Idea for Height Fields Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  New Idea for Height Fields (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Steven Jones
Subject: New Idea for Height Fields
Date: 16 May 2000 18:01:13
Message: <3921c529@news.povray.org>
I just had a real brainwave!  Normally height fields by definition don't
allow overhangs.  I realised you could work around this by STACKING height
fields.  You have a main height field and then a height field on top for the
underside of any overhangs and then a third hf on top of that for the top of
the overhangs.

Post a reply to this message

> I just had a real brainwave!  Normally height fields by definition don't
> allow overhangs.  I realised you could work around this by STACKING height
> fields.  You have a main height field and then a height field on top for the
> underside of any overhangs and then a third hf on top of that for the top of
> the overhangs.

Old idea but a good reminder.

{ > I just had a real brainwave!  Normally height fields by definition don't
{ > allow overhangs.  I realised you could work around this by STACKING height
{ > fields.  You have a main height field and then a height field on top for the
{ > underside of any overhangs and then a third hf on top of that for the top of
{ > the overhangs.
{
{ Old idea but a good reminder.

Yep, but that doesn't mean it didn't cause you a nice brainwave  ;-)
(brainstorm, people usually call that)
Here's something similar:
 http://www.digitalproducer.com/pages/caves_in_povray.htm

Bob

Post a reply to this message

> I just had a real brainwave!  Normally height fields by definition don't
> allow overhangs.  I realised you could work around this by STACKING height
> fields.  You have a main height field and then a height field on top for the
> underside of any overhangs and then a third hf on top of that for the top of
> the overhangs.

Or you could just use isosurfaces

Post a reply to this message

I do remember that, but I always applaud someone who thinks of it without reading
it before hand.
I pissed off a lot of philosophy students that way.

Josh

Ken wrote:

> Steven Jones wrote:
> >
> > I just had a real brainwave!  Normally height fields by definition don't
> > allow overhangs.  I realised you could work around this by STACKING height
> > fields.  You have a main height field and then a height field on top for the
> > underside of any overhangs and then a third hf on top of that for the top of
> > the overhangs.
>
> Old idea but a good reminder.
>
> --
> Ken Tyler - 1400+ POV-Ray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:

Josh English
eng### [at] spiritonecom
"May your hopes, dreams, and plans not be destroyed by a few zeros."

Post a reply to this message