POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Reflection_map Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:36:22 EDT (-0400)
  Reflection_map (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Fabien Hénon
Subject: Reflection_map
Date: 9 May 2000 17:57:59
Message: <391882CD.F4B60350@club-internet.fr>
Is there a way to do "reflection_map" in POV ?

It's a feature seen in Lightwave 5.6 : You stick a B&W image to an
object, only the white areas will be reflective, while the dark parts
will not reflect anything. Just like a bump_map, but with reflection.

Is there someway to work around this ?

Thanks

Post a reply to this message

>Is there a way to do "reflection_map" in POV ?

Yes, using a texture map of identical textures with the only
difference being the reflection amount.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet

> Is there a way to do "reflection_map" in POV ?
>
> It's a feature seen in Lightwave 5.6 : You stick a B&W image to an
> object, only the white areas will be reflective, while the dark parts
> will not reflect anything. Just like a bump_map, but with reflection.
>
> Is there someway to work around this ?

This has come up before, I think it was decided that a "finish_map"
feature would be more useful, but nobody has implemented it yet. In the
mean time, use material_map(or, if you have MegaPOV, you can use
texture_map with an image pattern).

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/

Post a reply to this message

> > Is there a way to do "reflection_map" in POV ?
>
> This has come up before, I think it was decided that a "finish_map"
> feature would be more useful, but nobody has implemented it yet. In the
> mean time, use material_map(or, if you have MegaPOV, you can use
> texture_map with an image pattern).

There an example of code here that gives variable reflections using
image_pattern and texture_map:
http://www.inapg.inra.fr/dsa/temp/makingof6.htm