POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Logo Competition - Vote Here ! Server Time
17 May 2024 16:27:23 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray Logo Competition - Vote Here ! (Message 31 to 40 of 79)
From: Nathan Kopp
Subject: Re: POV-Ray Logo Competition - Vote Here !
Date: 18 Apr 2000 11:02:16
Message: <38fc78f8$1@news.povray.org>
Fabien Mosen <fab### [at] skynetbe> wrote...
> The purpose of a logo is *not* to demonstrate the software's abilities.
> There are demos scenes for that.
> IMO, a logo must *express* what the software *is*, not what it
> produces.  In our case, I think the logo must meet 2 requirements :
>  - express the nature of Pov (a raytracing engine)
>  - specifically referring to Pov (but how ?), so the logo is'nt
>    suitable to ANY raytracer.

Actually, many logos don't even express what the software is.  Sure, it
would be great if a logo succeeded at that, but I don't think it is
necessary.

Also, many of these logos (such as #15) are just black & white outlines.
Such a logo could easily be extended into 3D with detailed textures and
complex lighting.  But in that case the logo doesn't depend on the fancy
lighting.

Hey... I just noticed that #15 is a modified yin-yang symbol.  That is very
interesting.  :-)

-Nathan

Post a reply to this message