POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?) (Message 51 to 60 of 92)
From: Johannes Hubert
Subject: Re: POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?)
Date: 13 Mar 2000 18:47:31
Message: <38cd7e13$1@news.povray.org>
news:38CD5D57.247F8422@pacbell.net...
>  One thing I am slightly confused about is if you are using a
complicated
> scene description language to make a new scene and then convert it to
> POV-Ray won't you still be limited to what POV-Ray can actually do
> proceeduraly ?
>
>  If POV-Ray can already do it proceeduraly why not do it in native Pov
> in the first place ?

This is about the same as if you were asking:
"Why is the POV-Ray software developed in C, when C is only compiled to
machine code? Aren't you still limited to what your computer can
actually do with machine code? If the computer can already do it in
machine code why not do it in the native machine code in the first
place?"

OK, the difference between machine code and C is more obvious than the
difference between POV-Script and a CSDL, but the analogy still stands:

A CSDL gives a different logical view on the same system (in this case a
3D scene) which will have benefits in some situations, while in other
situations a different view (for example using POV-Script or a visual
modeller) is better.

Johannes.

Post a reply to this message