POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Language of POV-Ray Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:24:52 EDT (-0400)
  The Language of POV-Ray (Message 81 to 90 of 297)
From: Johannes Hubert
Subject: Re: The Language of POV-Ray
Date: 11 Mar 2000 06:08:21
Message: <38ca2925@news.povray.org>
news:38CA2519.7A4AFCB5@pacbell.net...

> That is a dangerous assumption. I am painfully aware of the problems
> I had learning the scripting language in POV-Ray. I think you would
> be surprised to learn I had more problems thinking in terms of 3D than
> I did learning POV's scripting language. Sure it took some time to
> learn what sequence and order items should be placed in the scene file
> but it took me much longer to learn position, object control, and
> CSG operations than it did the syntax peculiarities. I also think
> that the difficulties of learning any new proceedure or scripting
> language will be unique for each user of the program. It's like the
> guy with a 6th grade education who can do a valve job on a newer
> Mercedes and the guy with a college education who can't figure out
> how to change the windshield wiper blades.

All this nonewithstanding, I still think that POV-Script could be
defined in a way that it makes it even easier to learn.
The fact that *you* had more problems with the 3D than with the syntax
doesn't mean that there may be others for which it is the other way
round.
And the fact that *you* didn't have too many problems with the syntax at
all doesn't mean, that maybe even *you* might have had even fewer
problems with a different POV-Script.

It all comes back to my second post: This is not a black or white issue,
but one where the best middleground should be found.

Johannes.

Post a reply to this message