POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Moon Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:24:27 EDT (-0400)
  Moon (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Andrea Ryan
Subject: Moon
Date: 9 Jan 2000 22:16:15
Message: <38794C56.4F454654@global2000.net>
Hello,
I am trying to make a picture of the Earth and the Moon.  One POV unit
equals one mile.  The Moon is something like 250000 miles from the
origin and it is nothing but a tiny, gray speck.  When the camera is
near the Moon, the Earth looks small too.  Is there a limit on how far
apart objects can be?  I might have one POV unit equal to 100 or 1000
miles.
Brendan Ryan

Post a reply to this message

There is a limit, but 250,000 units should be well within that limit. You might
have the simensions of the objects wrong. I too have had the problem you
describe, the Moon seeming too small at correct distance & size, but 'a tiny
gray speck' seems a bit extreme. Unless you have a very large camera angle.
Do you absolutely _need_ to have the correct dimensions?

Margus

Andrea Ryan wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to make a picture of the Earth and the Moon.  One POV unit
> equals one mile.  The Moon is something like 250000 miles from the
> origin and it is nothing but a tiny, gray speck.  When the camera is
> near the Moon, the Earth looks small too.  Is there a limit on how far
> apart objects can be?  I might have one POV unit equal to 100 or 1000
> miles.
> Brendan Ryan

Post a reply to this message

Everytime I make them the right size and distance I get the same problem. I
think it is because even a large monitor is not as large as the sky and so
you have to divide the apparent size of the moon by the same factor that
your screen divides the sky.

"Andrea Ryan" <ary### [at] global2000net> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am trying to make a picture of the Earth and the Moon.  One POV unit
> equals one mile.  The Moon is something like 250000 miles from the
> origin and it is nothing but a tiny, gray speck.  When the camera is
> near the Moon, the Earth looks small too.  Is there a limit on how far
> apart objects can be?  I might have one POV unit equal to 100 or 1000
> miles.
> Brendan Ryan

Post a reply to this message

> Everytime I make them the right size and distance I get the same problem. I
> think it is because even a large monitor is not as large as the sky and so
> you have to divide the apparent size of the moon by the same factor that
> your screen divides the sky.
>
> "Andrea Ryan" <ary### [at] global2000net> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I am trying to make a picture of the Earth and the Moon.  One POV unit
> > equals one mile.  The Moon is something like 250000 miles from the
> > origin and it is nothing but a tiny, gray speck.  When the camera is
> > near the Moon, the Earth looks small too.  Is there a limit on how far
> > apart objects can be?  I might have one POV unit equal to 100 or 1000
> > miles.
> > Brendan Ryan

Post a reply to this message

>I am trying to make a picture of the Earth and the Moon.  One POV unit
>equals one mile.  The Moon is something like 250000 miles from the
>origin and it is nothing but a tiny, gray speck.  When the camera is
>near the Moon, the Earth looks small too.  Is there a limit on how far
>apart objects can be?  I might have one POV unit equal to 100 or 1000
>miles.

There's a sort of optical illusion that makes the Moon seem to be much
larger than it is. If you take a photo that includes the moon with, say,
a 50mm lens, the picture looks like this:-

A POVray image that uses the default camera angle will look similar. To
get a decent looking photo of the Moon you need to use quite a long
telephoto lens, so in POVray, that would mean setting your camera to
something like this.

camera {location < 0, 0, -250000>look_at <0,0,0> angle 2}

--
Mike Williams + #
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message