POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spherical Landscapes Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:15:08 EDT (-0400)
  Spherical Landscapes (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Paul Vanukoff
Subject: Spherical Landscapes
Date: 23 Dec 1999 11:49:52
Message: <386252b0@news.povray.org>
Hugo Elias has an interesting method to create spherical planetoids:

  http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/models/m_landsp.htm

I tried to implement his method by recursively splitting an object (started
as a sphere) in random halves, and scaling one half slightly larger than the
other, then doing it over and over again. The method seems to work at low
iterations (<15), but when I went ahead and tried, say, 100 iterations, it
was taking *forever* to parse, and never did start rendering, my computer
locked on me, probably not enough memory. I'm interesting in implementing
this technique in POV-Ray, does anyone have any ideas to use less memory and
speed it up? I have included my source.

Or, does anyone have a better method to create planetoids such as these?

--
Paul Vanukoff
van### [at] primenetcom

// source follows //

#include "colors.inc"

#declare s1=seed(95937);

#declare Planetary=
sphere
{
    < 0, 0, 0> 1
}

#declare K=0;
#while (K<15)        // number of iterations

#declare rotX=360*rand(s1);
#declare rotY=360*rand(s1);
#declare rotZ=360*rand(s1);

#declare HalfOne=