POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Death of Watcom C++ Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:27:53 EDT (-0400)
  Death of Watcom C++ (Message 11 to 20 of 25)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 5 Messages >>>
From: PoD
Subject: Re: Death of Watcom C++
Date: 21 Dec 1999 11:36:03
Message: <385FAD3F.18CD9900@merlin.net.au>
Bill DeWitt wrote:

> "Ken" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote :
> >
> >  Does a comiler make code or does it make a program out of code ?
> >

>     Yes. A compiler makes code out of code. Hope I've cleared that up...
>
>     Using MSVC++ as a compiler won't make much of a difference in the
> program itself. The problem, if there is one, would be if they switched over
> to MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes). That is the single largest bloater of
> code in the universe.
>
>     I suspect that they will write straight to API though so that the code
> can be compiled from source in any C++ compiler. That would make more sense
> considering the history so far.

Given the emphasis on portability in all the C versions, I couldn't see
anything like that happening.

PoD.

Post a reply to this message

From: Sander
Date: 21 Dec 1999 16:33:34
Message: <385ff22e@news.povray.org>
What about Borland (Inprise ;-)) C++ compiler? No one mentions it. Is it not
of the same class as Watcom and MS?

--
Regards,
Sander

Nieminen Juha <war### [at] punarastascstutfi> schreef in berichtnieuws
385e58f5@news.povray.org...
> Pabs <pab### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> : What is the POV-Team going to do now that Watcom C++ is dying
> : Please don't go to MSVC++
>
>   Actually the MSVC compile of povray seems to be faster than the watcom
> compile.
>   Who cares which compiler is used as long as it makes faster code?
>
> --
> main(i,_){for(_?--i,main(i+2,"FhhQHFIJD|FQTITFN]zRFHhhTBFHhhTBFysdB"[i]
> ):5;i&&_>1;printf("%s",_-70?_&1?"[]":" ":(_=0,"\n")),_/=2);} /*- Warp -*/

Post a reply to this message

> What about Borland (Inprise ;-)) C++ compiler? No one mentions it. Is it not
> of the same class as Watcom and MS?

No, it isn't. It's about twice as expensive and does not optimize
as good. Watcom has long been the compiler producing the fastest code,
no overtaken by MS.

Markus

Post a reply to this message

>> What about Borland (Inprise ;-)) C++ compiler? No one mentions it. Is it
not
>> of the same class as Watcom and MS?
>
>No, it isn't. It's about twice as expensive and does not optimize
>as good. Watcom has long been the compiler producing the fastest code,
>no overtaken by MS.

How does GCC compare for optimizing code?

Mark

Post a reply to this message

> How does GCC compare for optimizing code?

As far as I know, they are about equal. (MS and GCC)

Markus

Post a reply to this message