POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Death of Watcom C++ : Re: Death of Watcom C++ Server Time
10 Aug 2024 21:02:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Death of Watcom C++
From: Ron Parker
Date: 27 Dec 1999 23:33:58
Message: <38723c31.36855155@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 16:29:42 +0100, Markus Becker
<mar### [at] studentuni-siegende> wrote:

>Sander wrote:
>>
>> What about Borland (Inprise ;-)) C++ compiler? No one mentions it. Is it not
>> of the same class as Watcom and MS?
>
>No, it isn't. It's about twice as expensive and does not optimize
>as good. Watcom has long been the compiler producing the fastest code,
>no overtaken by MS.

Does anyone have any benchmarks on the Intel Performance Toolkit C++
compiler that comes with vTune?  I have it here, and I've been
building 3.5 with it (note that that doesn't say anything about what
the final official version will be built with.)  If nobody has
benchmarks,  I might be persuaded to build an MS version and an Intel
version and compare, but I'd have to wait to do the tests because I
don't have a Pentium running Windows here at home (this box is a
K6/233.)