POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Silly little feature request Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:31:01 EDT (-0400)
  Silly little feature request (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: TonyB
Subject: Silly little feature request
Date: 2 Dec 1999 12:57:10
Message: <3846b2f6@news.povray.org>
I was wondering if there is a way add a counter to check parse times with. I
would like to know how long it takes to parse from point A to point B,
informing myself via #debug, like so:

#declare A = parse_time;
#debug "Parsing hf.png...\n"
#declare M = height_field {png "hf2.png" smooth}
#declare B = parse_time;
#debug concat("Done...parse time for hf.png: ",str(B-A,0,5),\n")

"parse_time" represents the variable that tells us how long POV-Ray has been
parsing until that point in the file. It should be measured in seconds and
their fractions.

Any ideas, oh brilliant programmers?

Post a reply to this message

> I was wondering if there is a way add a counter to check parse times with. I
> would like to know how long it takes to parse from point A to point B,
> informing myself via #debug, like so:
>
> #declare A = parse_time;
> #debug "Parsing hf.png...\n"
> #declare M = height_field {png "hf2.png" smooth}
> #declare B = parse_time;
> #debug concat("Done...parse time for hf.png: ",str(B-A,0,5),\n")
>
> "parse_time" represents the variable that tells us how long POV-Ray has been
> parsing until that point in the file. It should be measured in seconds and
> their fractions.

Well, you can just use the file-IO to measure time. At the beginning of the
scene create one file, at each time you want to measure the time create
another. Depending on your file system you can get the time at least down to
seconds precision.  Of course you have to calculate the differences manually
:-)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde