POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PoVRay-API Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:29:30 EDT (-0400)
  PoVRay-API (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Martin T  Thoma
Subject: PoVRay-API
Date: 26 Nov 1999 05:30:04
Message: <383E60D9.1F46@radiok2r.de>
PoVRay-API

Hello,

In the license-agreement, there is the following part:
"To allow POV-Ray to communicate with outside programs, the official
versions of POV-Ray include several internal communication "hooks"
for it to call other tasks, often called an Application Programming
Interface, or API. For example: the generic part of POV-Ray provides
operating system shell-out API commands. The Windows version has a
GUI-extension API and the ability to replace the text editor.
Modification to these APIs or other officially supported
communication mechanisms to increase functionality beyond that of
the official version IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED."

How can I get more information about this API ? Explictly how to use it
correctly, because I don't want to break the agreement.

Regards

Martin

Post a reply to this message

In article <383### [at] radiok2rde> , "Martin T. Thoma"
<mar### [at] radiok2rde> wrote:

> PoVRay-API
>
> Hello,
>
> In the license-agreement, there is the following part:
> "To allow POV-Ray to communicate with outside programs, the official
> versions of POV-Ray include several internal communication "hooks"
> for it to call other tasks, often called an Application Programming
> Interface, or API. For example: the generic part of POV-Ray provides
> operating system shell-out API commands. The Windows version has a
> GUI-extension API and the ability to replace the text editor.
> Modification to these APIs or other officially supported
> communication mechanisms to increase functionality beyond that of
> the official version IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED."
>
> How can I get more information about this API ? Explictly how to use it
> correctly, because I don't want to break the agreement.
>
> Regards
>
> Martin

Get the Windows source code archive. It contains some documentation on the
Windows API.

     Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> In article <383### [at] radiok2rde> , "Martin T. Thoma"
> <mar### [at] radiok2rde> wrote:
>
> > PoVRay-API
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > In the license-agreement, there is the following part:
> > "To allow POV-Ray to communicate with outside programs, the official
> > versions of POV-Ray include several internal communication "hooks"
> > for it to call other tasks, often called an Application Programming
> > Interface, or API. For example: the generic part of POV-Ray provides
> > operating system shell-out API commands. The Windows version has a
> > GUI-extension API and the ability to replace the text editor.
> > Modification to these APIs or other officially supported
> > communication mechanisms to increase functionality beyond that of
> > the official version IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED."
> >
> > How can I get more information about this API ? Explictly how to use it
> > correctly, because I don't want to break the agreement.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Martin
>
> Get the Windows source code archive. It contains some documentation on the
> Windows API.
>
>      Thorsten

.. it does ?? :-)) Ok, I only looked ar it for a very short time...
Thanx ! Is this the API they are speaking in the license-agreement ??

Martin

Post a reply to this message

<mar### [at] radiok2rde> wrote:

> .. it does ?? :-)) Ok, I only looked ar it for a very short time...
> Thanx ! Is this the API they are speaking in the license-agreement ??

This is the "The Windows version has a GUI-extension API and the ability to
replace the text editor." part.
There is no official documentation of all the internal callbacks (i.e. those
to show preview images), you just look into the source code and find out
yourself :-)

     Thorsten