POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Great news! Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:31:05 EDT (-0400)
  Great news! (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: TonyB
Subject: Great news!
Date: 29 Oct 1999 23:52:15
Message: <381a6b6f@news.povray.org>
Hello, everybody! Guess what? Intel just announced that thanks to advances
in their manufacturing methods, they now have processor speeds of up to
733MHz. These new processors are the successors of the Pentium III and will
be differenced from their predecessors by a plus sign (+) after the MHz.
They are manufactured using 0.18-micron technology and sport a sixth layer.
Also new is ATC (Advanced Transfer Cache) and ASB (Advanced System
Buffering), both of which increase speeds greatly. To quote Intel: "A
heavily integrated and highly optimized 256 KB, 256-bit-wide, on-die Level 2
ATC provides outstanding bandwidth - up to 11.7GB at 733 MHz, for example -
while delivering an impressive 4X reduction in Level 2 latency. The cache is
organized as an 8-way set associative configuration that, combined with the
high bandwidth and lower latency, delivers this increase in cache
performance for real applications. In addition, the performance of the
Advanced Transfer Cache scales with core frequency." Another new thing is
the 133 MHz system bus. Using a benchmark, they compared 2 600MHz Pentium
III's: the new one and the old one. The new one provided a 20% performance
increase over its predecessor.

I'm impressed and hope that Intel will continue to improve on its product
and advance computers and computer graphics so that the little guy can
render some real nice stuff. =)

To read the rest, go to
http://developer.intel.com/update/contents/it11994.htm.

PS: Yes... this does go out to you POV programmers. You either find a way to
exploit this new speed and give us an excuse to buy these processors, or
else... ;)

Post a reply to this message