POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV *ity test.. Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:17:10 EDT (-0400)
  POV *ity test.. (Message 5 to 14 of 34)
<<< Previous 4 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: omniVERSE
Subject: Re: POV *ity test..
Date: 30 Oct 1999 02:27:19
Message: <381a8fc7@news.povray.org>
I have it too. It's at: ftp://alfred.ccs.carleton.ca/pub/dkbtrace/dkb2.12/
To answer the test in a generalized way, I think I score a 93, as in
percent.

Bob

From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 30 Oct 1999 02:37:35
Message: <381A922D.A97AB705@skynet.be>
Alex Vandiver wrote:
> POV-Ray *ity test, 50 questions
> SIMPLE STUFF
> ..rendered a 'reflective sphere over checkered plane' scene?
Yes
> ..rendered all of the examples?
No
> ..shamelessly stolen and modified one of the examples?
Yes
> ..used POV units less than 0.0001?
No
>  ..less than 0.000001?
No
> ..greater than 10000?
Yes
>  ..greater than 1000000?
Yes (sun at real distance in centimeters)
> ..done an entire render at 1pps?
Yes
> ..nested more than ten {} blocks?
No
>  ..more than twenty {} blocks?
No
> ..upgraded just to speed up your rendering time?
No

> UGLIER STUFF
> ..generated height_fields in POV-Ray, for use in POV-Ray?
Yes
> ..hand-coded bezier patches?
No
>  ..polygons?
Yes
>  ..meshes?
Yes (very small)
>  ..smooth_triangles?
No
> ..hand-coded using the right-handed system?
Once
>  ..by mistake?
No
>  ..using some other system (neither right nor left)?
No
> ..manually specified bounding?
Often
> ..manually specified clipping?
Often
> ..known the difference between bounding and clipping?
Yes, essential.
> ..done animation?
Yes
>  ..wthout the clock variable?
Yes
> ..used media?
Yes
>  ..and gotten it to work the first time?
No
> ..used the matrix command?
Yes
> ..used julia_fractals?
Yes
> ..used poly, cubic, quartic, or quadric?
No

> #PROGRAMMING
> ..used a macro?
Yes
> ..written a macro?
Yes
> ..written a recursive macro?
Yes
>  ..for something other than a fractal?
Yes (folding fair organ cards)
> ..written a macro only to do mathmatical operations?
Yes (trig)
> ..used file I/O directives?
No

> PATCHES
> ..used a patched version of POV-Ray?
Yes
> ..looked at the POV-Ray source?
Yes
> ..changed the source?
Wouldn't dare !
>  ..and had it work the way you wanted the first time?
>  ..with beneficial consequences?
> ..released a patch?
>  ..that was included in the Superpatch?
>  ..that was included in the official build?
>
> NEWSGROUPS
> ..been forced to go to/gone to p.o.t?
No
> ..posted a binary in the wrong group?
No
> ..been involved in a flame war? (>50 messages in one thread)
No
>  ..not on p.o-t?
>
> OTHER
> ..used DKB-Trace?
No
> ..contributed to this list?
??
> ..contributed to the YKYBRTLW.. list?
Yes

Post a reply to this message

From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 30 Oct 1999 04:10:29
Message: <381aa7f5@news.povray.org>
About 35 (some questions are quite ambiguous...)

From: omniVERSE
Date: 30 Oct 1999 05:28:24
Message: <381aba38@news.povray.org>
Just relooked at it.  My guess of 93% was not counting subcategories, think
I was way off anyway.  About 30 out of 50, or 60% yes.

Bob

Nieminen Juha <war### [at] punarastascstutfi> wrote in message
>   About 35 (some questions are quite ambiguous...)
>
> --
> main(i,_){for(_?--i,main(i+2,"FhhQHFIJD|FQTITFN]zRFHhhTBFHhhTBFysdB"[i]
> ):5;i&&_>1;printf("%s",_-70?_&1?"[]":" ":(_=0,"\n")),_/=2);} /*- Warp -*/

Post a reply to this message

From: omniVERSE
Date: 30 Oct 1999 05:29:24
Message: <381aba74@news.povray.org>
Way off, 60% yes answers really.

Bob

omniVERSE <inv### [at] aolcom> wrote in message
> To answer the test in a generalized way, I think I score a 93, as in
> percent.

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Huff
Date: 30 Oct 1999 12:32:30
Message: <381B1E32.65FFDFE2@yahoo.com>
>SIMPLE STUFF
>..rendered a 'reflective sphere over checkered plane' scene?
Yes.
>..rendered all of the examples?
Not all of them, but a large number of them.
>..shamelessly stolen and modified one of the examples?
No.
>..used POV units less than 0.0001?
No.
> ..less than 0.000001?
Same as the above.
>..greater than 10000?
Yes.
> ..greater than 1000000?
No.
>..done an entire render at 1pps?
Probably, but the Mac version doesn't have a pps indicator.
>..nested more than ten {} blocks?
Yes.
> ..more than twenty {} blocks?
Maybe. Not by hand, though. Some of my macros would easily do that.
>..upgraded just to speed up your rendering time?
Not yet. :-)

>UGLIER STUFF
>..generated height_fields in POV-Ray, for use in POV-Ray?
Yes.
>..hand-coded bezier patches?
Yes.
> ..polygons?
Never used them, actually.
> ..meshes?
Yes.
> ..smooth_triangles?
Yes, but only once as an experiment.
>..hand-coded using the right-handed system?
No.
> ..by mistake?
See above.
> ..using some other system (neither right nor left)?
No.
>..manually specified bounding?
Yes.
>..manually specified clipping?
Yes.
>..known the difference between bounding and clipping?
Yes.
>..done animation?
Yes.
> ..wthout the clock variable?
Yes.
>..used media?
Yes.
> ..and gotten it to work the first time?
Yes.
>..used the matrix command?
Yes.
>..used julia_fractals?
No.(Well, I have experimented with them...but never done anything with
them.)
>..used poly, cubic, quartic, or quadric?
No.

>#PROGRAMMING
>..used a macro?
Yes.
>..written a macro?
Yes.
>..written a recursive macro?
Yes.
> ..for something other than a fractal?
Yes.
>..written a macro only to do mathmatical operations?
Is this asking if I have made a macro which only does math stuff, or if
the only macros I have made are for math stuff? I have made math macros,
but also a lot of other kinds.
>..used file I/O directives?
Yes.

>PATCHES
>..used a patched version of POV-Ray?
Yes.
>..looked at the POV-Ray source?
Yes.
>..changed the source?
Yes.
> ..and had it work the way you wanted the first time?
Yes.
> ..with beneficial consequences?
Yes.
>..released a patch?
Yes.
> ..that was included in the Superpatch?
Not yet, but I hope some of my work will make it in.
> ..that was included in the official build?
See above.

>NEWSGROUPS
>..been forced to go to/gone to p.o.t?
No.
>..posted a binary in the wrong group?
No.
>..been involved in a flame war? (>50 messages in one thread)
Maybe, I am not sure if the thread I am thinking of would qualify,
though.
> ..not on p.o-t?
If the above is yes,  then this one is too.

>OTHER
>..used DKB-Trace?
Nope. Was there a Mac version?
>..contributed to this list?
Yes.
>..contributed to the YKYBRTLW.. list?
No.

>Additions?
Have you ever used isosurfaces?
Yes.
Have you ever done a simulation of anything written entirely in POV?
Yes.
Can you get good results with radiosity?
Sometimes. I am just now getting the hang of it.
Have you ever stayed up past midnight doing test renders and tweaking a
scene?
Yes.
Have you ever used POV-Ray for something other than 3D graphics?
Yes.(The turbulence warp makes nice coastlines for maps. Just turbulate
an image_map of a line drawing.)

Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Date: 30 Oct 1999 13:53:25
Message: <381B31F8.6CCC2C01@povray.org>
Alex Vandiver wrote:

> Without further ado,
> POV-Ray *ity test, 50 questions

41.  Is that bad?  Can it be treated?

Post a reply to this message

From: Alex Vandiver
Date: 30 Oct 1999 14:40:12
Message: <381B3BB0.E62F832D@tiac.net>
For those ambiguous questions, the following scoring system is proposed.
Points start with sphere{0,1 pigment{rgb <0,0,0>}}  Scoring is as follows:
     Answer      |     Scoring
------------------------------------
Yes              | Add rgb <0.02,0,0>
Qualified yes/no | Add rgb <0,0.02,0>
No               | Add rgb <0,0,0.02>
[Optional]
For each that have become habit, add a separate normal statement.
Finish statement accorded to those who actually render their final points..

-Alex Vandiver

Post a reply to this message

From: SamuelT
Date: 30 Oct 1999 16:48:48
Message: <381B5B1D.957B1C01@aol.com>
Yikes.. only 14/50 here.

--
Samuel Benge

STB### [at] aolcom

"And you can fly
 High as a kite if you want to
 Faster than light if you want to
 Speeding through the universe
 Thinking is the best way to travel"

          -The Best Way to Travel, The Moody Blues

Post a reply to this message

From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 30 Oct 1999 17:20:27
Message: <381B6112.1B9B3CB1@skynet.be>
...so I only earn 25/50, ahem...
can't each IRTC award count for 1 point, huh ? :-))))

Fabien.

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 4 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>