POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Illegal Commercial Usage of IRTC Images: Interesting Discovery! Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:24:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Illegal Commercial Usage of IRTC Images: Interesting Discovery! (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Gautam N  Lad
Subject: Re: Illegal Commercial Usage of IRTC Images: Interesting Discovery!
Date: 30 Sep 1999 23:20:53
Message: <37f42895@news.povray.org>
Hi,
Firstly, I am overwhelmed with the number of posting/responses
I have received, and I thank all of you for expressing your
opinions.

One person who helped me get this situation straightened out
(well, it explained a whole lotta stuff), was Nathan O'Brien.
After Nathan mentioned Addison-Wesley as being the publisher
for the 5/e I freaked, considering I had had an offer from
Addison-Wesley back in 1997, to use my image in their book.
I then asked him a few more questions, which pretty much explained
things a little more.

It all started when I received an e-mail from the company responsible
for collecting the images, back in July 29, 1997 from a person,
representing the author.  The person asked me for permission to
use the image in the book (at that time it was the 5th edition).
I agreed, and after that, I was asked to submit a large resolution
of the image (4000x4000).  Having an old 486 dx2 50, and
1 4.4k modem, I had a hard time coming up with the render, and
then sending it over to them.  In the end, I asked a friend to
do the render for me (result being a 10MB PNG), but by that
time it was too late, and the image never made it through.
So, all in all, my image didn't make it to the 5th edition (as
Nathan O'Brien mentioned), so why then suddenly, did they
use it in the 6th edition? Without my permission (or even a notice
telling me it's being used).  I don't know.

I know I gave them permission to use the image in the 5th edition
but I didn't give up my rights to the image.  I have complete transcripts
of all the e-mails I received from the person, so I have proof.

So did they not commit any wrong doing 'cause I gave permission to use
the image in the 5th edition? I don't know.  Should I still be compensated
for the missunderstanding?  Eitherway, I am not too disappointed with
what happened (just wanted some answers).  I have yet to contact
Prentice Hall (haven't had much time lately), so I will see how things go.

Thanks for all the comments & suggestions, and I apologize in advance
if, like some of you, feel I am spamming (through cross-posting).

Thanks!
Bye!
--
Gautam N. Lad