POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Illegal Commercial Usage of IRTC Images: Interesting Discovery! : Re: Illegal Commercial Usage of IRTC Images: Interesting Discovery! Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:22:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Illegal Commercial Usage of IRTC Images: Interesting Discovery!
From: Ken
Date: 1 Oct 1999 00:57:28
Message: <37F43EC8.ED00D8D8@pacbell.net>
"Gautam N. Lad" wrote:

> I know I gave them permission to use the image in the 5th edition
> but I didn't give up my rights to the image.

> So did they not commit any wrong doing 'cause I gave permission to use
> the image in the 5th edition?

I seriouly doubt they can be accused of wrong doing since you have given
previous permission to use your work for a particular text. Had they used
it in a different publication you might have some grounds for action.

> I don't know.  Should I still be compensated for the missunderstanding?

  Was there ever any mention of compensation for use of your material
or did you grant them exclusive rights to use it without compensation ?
If you freely donated it to their publication I doubt you have any legal
recourse in that regard.

>  Eitherway, I am not too disappointed with
> what happened (just wanted some answers).  I have yet to contact
> Prentice Hall (haven't had much time lately), so I will see how things go.

  I would ask for a free copy of the book just out of principle
and ensure that you are given credit somewhere in the book for
your contribution. If they have failed to do so in this edition
then press for it in any future revisions that may be published.

> Thanks for all the comments & suggestions, and I apologize in advance
> if, like some of you, feel I am spamming (through cross-posting).

Considering the nature of the message you have done nothing wrong here.

Don't worry be happy :)

--
Ken Tyler
1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links: