POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : image-maps and transmit Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:26:47 EDT (-0400)
  image-maps and transmit (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Mr  Art
Subject: image-maps and transmit
Date: 31 Aug 1999 12:34:28
Message: <37CC03E9.61259ECD@gci.net>
Hi all,
    I am having trouble getting an image map to have transpatent colors
in it.
I have rendered a scene of text as "NutWords.png" and used it to wrap
around a glass globe.
 ex: #declare Test =pigment{image_map{png "NutWords.png" transmit 0,.5}}

( Only the parts that give me a problem are left as I test this.)
 When I try to render, I get an error message like this:
#declare Test =pigment{image_map{png "NutWords.png" transmit 0
<----ERROR
F:\AUserScn\test.pov:11; error: Keyword 'transmit' cannot be used non
color-mapped image.

When I looked in the help file to find the right format, I find this:

The Filter and Transmit Bitmap Modifiers

To make all or part of an image map transparent you can specify filter
and/or transmit
values for the color palette/registers of PNG, GIF or IFF pictures (at
least for the modes
that use palettes). You can do this by adding the keyword filter or
transmit following
the filename. The keyword is followed by two numbers. The first number
is the palette
number value and the second is the amount of transparency.

What am I missing? I saved this part of the project for last and now I
am stuck.
Thanks for any help.

Mr. Art

Post a reply to this message

>     I am having trouble getting an image map to have transpatent colors
> in it.
> I have rendered a scene of text as "NutWords.png" and used it to wrap
> around a glass globe.
>  ex: #declare Test =pigment{image_map{png "NutWords.png" transmit 0,.5}}
>
> ( Only the parts that give me a problem are left as I test this.)
>  When I try to render, I get an error message like this:
> #declare Test =pigment{image_map{png "NutWords.png" transmit 0
> <----ERROR
> F:\AUserScn\test.pov:11; error: Keyword 'transmit' cannot be used non
> color-mapped image.
>
> When I looked in the help file to find the right format, I find this:
>
> The Filter and Transmit Bitmap Modifiers
>
> To make all or part of an image map transparent you can specify filter
> and/or transmit
> values for the color palette/registers of PNG, GIF or IFF pictures (at
> least for the modes
> that use palettes). You can do this by adding the keyword filter or
> transmit following
> the filename. The keyword is followed by two numbers. The first number
> is the palette
> number value and the second is the amount of transparency.
>
> What am I missing? I saved this part of the project for last and now I
> am stuck.
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Mr. Art

  First thing that you should know is that for transmit or filter to work
with image mapping you need an image saved to 8 bit 256 colors or it won't
work. Higher color depths will be ignored and the feature will not work.
Once you get past that the format outlined in the docs should work for you.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:

Thanks Ken. I'll give it a try as soon as I am done reading the NGs

Ken wrote:

>   First thing that you should know is that for transmit or filter to work
> with image mapping you need an image saved to 8 bit 256 colors or it won't
> work. Higher color depths will be ignored and the feature will not work.
> Once you get past that the format outlined in the docs should work for you.
>
> --
> Ken Tyler
>
> See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:
> http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html

Post a reply to this message

Since the 'image_map' is being made first it would be good to use the
Bits_Per_Color=n option (also known as +Ffn [f=file type, n=bits per
color]). However, I've noticed that I can't get PSP 5 to see anything
but 24bit image files. Anyone know something about it?

Bob

Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message

> "Mr. Art" wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >     I am having trouble getting an image map to have transpatent
colors
> > in it.
> > I have rendered a scene of text as "NutWords.png" and used it to
wrap
> > around a glass globe.
> >  ex: #declare Test =pigment{image_map{png "NutWords.png" transmit
0,.5}}

> > ( Only the parts that give me a problem are left as I test this.)
> >  When I try to render, I get an error message like this:
> > #declare Test =pigment{image_map{png "NutWords.png" transmit 0
> > <----ERROR
> > F:\AUserScn\test.pov:11; error: Keyword 'transmit' cannot be used
non
> > color-mapped image.
> >
> > When I looked in the help file to find the right format, I find
this:

> > The Filter and Transmit Bitmap Modifiers
> >
> > To make all or part of an image map transparent you can specify
filter
> > and/or transmit
> > values for the color palette/registers of PNG, GIF or IFF pictures
(at
> > least for the modes
> > that use palettes). You can do this by adding the keyword filter
or
> > transmit following
> > the filename. The keyword is followed by two numbers. The first
number
> > is the palette
> > number value and the second is the amount of transparency.
> >
> > What am I missing? I saved this part of the project for last and
now I
> > am stuck.
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Mr. Art
>
>   First thing that you should know is that for transmit or filter to
work
> with image mapping you need an image saved to 8 bit 256 colors or it
won't
> work. Higher color depths will be ignored and the feature will not
work.
> Once you get past that the format outlined in the docs should work
for you.

> --
> Ken Tyler
>
> See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:
> http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html

Post a reply to this message

picture is done. see "Nut Dispenser" comming soon to p.b.i

"Mr. Art" wrote:

> Hi all,
>     I am having trouble getting an image map to have transpatent colors
> in it.

<snip>

> I saved this part of the project for last and now I
> am stuck.
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Mr. Art

Post a reply to this message

>  First thing that you should know is that for transmit or filter to work
> with image mapping you need an image saved to 8 bit 256 colors or it won't
> work. Higher color depths will be ignored and the feature will not work.
> Once you get past that the format outlined in the docs should work for you.

...but, remember that an alpha channel in a 32-bit image will create
transparency, though I think there should be an option for it to create
filtering too (it currently can't).  Ah, the things pov should do...

-Mike