POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Ghost of POV effect Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:20:01 EDT (-0400)
  The Ghost of POV effect (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Rune S  Johansen
Subject: The Ghost of POV effect
Date: 15 Jul 1999 20:29:21
Message: <378e7ce1@news.povray.org>
Try to render the little animation below and you will see the Ghost of POV
effect caused by union and wood normals (name made up by Uwe Zimmermann I
think). 10-20 frames is enough to get the idea.

I still wonder what actually causes the weird effect.

Can any of the programmers explain it?

camera {
   location y/50
   angle 150
   look_at 0
}

light_source {100*y, color 1}

#declare X = clock;

#declare Y = pow(10,X*2-1);

plane {
   y, 0
   pigment {color 0}
   normal {onion 1.5*Y sine_wave scale 1*Y}
   finish {ambient 0 diffuse 0 phong 1 phong_size 300}
}
// Also try to rotate the effect... It's impossible!

Greetings,

Rune S. Johansen

---
Visit The RSJ Website at http://welcome.to/rsj
for 3D images including still lives, dragons,
mathematical shapes, and more. Stereograms,
tutorials, The POV Desktop Theme, all the jokes
"you know you have been raytracing too long when",