POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Ghost of POV effect : Re: The Ghost of POV effect Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Ghost of POV effect
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 16 Jul 1999 00:55:07
Message: <378EBBD8.507AFE72@Kopp.com>
"Rune S. Johansen" wrote:

> Try to render the little animation below and you will see the Ghost of POV
> effect caused by union and wood normals (name made up by Uwe Zimmermann I
> think). 10-20 frames is enough to get the idea.
>
> I still wonder what actually causes the weird effect.
>
> Can any of the programmers explain it?

You mean those three mysterious light/dark spots?  That's caused by the
algorithm used to find the surface normal.  The algorithm (in the function
Perturb_Normal in the file normal.c for you programmers) uses a pyramid
of points to sample the normal map (here a simple onion pattern) to
determine the surface normal.  This locus of points is chosen at a
specific 'radius' around the sample point.  The 'radius' of this
pyramid of points is chosen by DELTA which is defined just prior to
Perturb_Normal.  By changing the value of DELTA I can make these dark
points move in and out.  Getting rid of them is something I do not know
how to do, though.  And making DELTA smaller or bigger causes other
problems.

-Nathan