POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Translating old image_maps Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:24:51 EDT (-0400)
  Translating old image_maps (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: PoD
Subject: Translating old image_maps
Date: 10 Jul 1999 19:53:40
Message: <3787DD2D.2293768C@merlin.net.au>
I have an old POV file which has image_maps declared in the following
manner

image_map {
  <0 1 -1>
  tga "blah.tga"
  ...}

The warnings I get suggest that the vector at the top is for orienting
the image, but it's ignored in 3.1.
I don't have docs for old enough versions to explain this vector, how do
I transform this image_map to get the same effect?

Thanks, PoD.

Post a reply to this message

> I have an old POV file which has image_maps declared in the following
> manner
>
> image_map {
>   <0 1 -1>
>   tga "blah.tga"
>   ...}
>
> The warnings I get suggest that the vector at the top is for orienting
> the image, but it's ignored in 3.1.
> I don't have docs for old enough versions to explain this vector, how do
> I transform this image_map to get the same effect?
>
> Thanks, PoD.

  Instead of trying to bring that part of the file into compliance have you
tried the #version directive ? It could save you a lot of time. If you really
want to read up on the syntax of the earlier version I could dig out the
Pov v1.0 docs and send them to you.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

> I have an old POV file which has image_maps declared in the following
> manner
>
> image_map {
>   <0 1 -1>
>   tga "blah.tga"
>   ...}
>
> The warnings I get suggest that the vector at the top is for orienting
> the image, but it's ignored in 3.1.
> I don't have docs for old enough versions to explain this vector, how do
> I transform this image_map to get the same effect?
>
> Thanks, PoD.

Here is what I could find for you from the Pov v1.0 docs:

       The documentation for image_map explains the basic options
       which are true for all mapping types.

       image_map - Color Pattern.
       Syntax:
       image_map { [map_type #] [<gradient>] image_type "filename"
       [alpha # #] [once] [interpolate #] }

       This is a special color pattern that allows you to import a
       bitmapped image file in GIF, TGA, IFF, or DUMP format and
       map that bitmap onto an object.

       For example:

       // Use planar (type 0) mapping to project falwell.gif
       // onto the shape in a repeating pattern.
       // Set interpolation to 2 (bilinear) so the mapped GIF will

       // be smoothed and not look jaggy.
       image_map {
         map_type 0 <1 0 -1> gif "falwell.gif" interpolate 2
       }

       or

       // Use spherical (type 1) mapping to
       // wrap earth.tga once onto a unit sphere
       // No interpolation is used, so it may look
       // jaggy
       image_map {
         map_type 1 tga "earth.tga"
       }
       or
       // Use cylindrical (type 2) mapping to wrap
       // cambells.gif once onto a unit cylinder.
       // Set interpolation to 4 (normalized distance)
       // so the mapped GIF will be smoothed and not look jaggy.
       //  Norm dist isn't as good as bi-linear, but it's faster.
       image_map {
         map_type 2 <1 -1 0> gif "cambells.gif" interpolate 4
       }

       The texture in the first example will be mapped onto the
       object as a repeating pattern. The once keyword places only
       one image onto the object instead of an infinitely repeating
       tiled pattern. When once is used, the color outside the
       mapped texture is set to transparent. You can use the
       layered textures to place other textures or colors below the
       image.

       The image map methods sphere, cylinder, and torus, wrap the
       image once and only once around a unit shape of the same name. The
       map may be scaled uniformly to apply to larger shapes. The maps
       may be applied to any shapes, but the results are undefined.

       The planar image map method is like a slide projector and
       will work the same for any shape.

> [...]

>        image_map {
>          map_type 2 <1 -1 0> gif "cambells.gif" interpolate 4
>        }
>
>        The texture in the first example will be mapped onto the
>        object as a repeating pattern. The once keyword places only
>        one image onto the object instead of an infinitely repeating
>        tiled pattern. When once is used, the color outside the
>        mapped texture is set to transparent. You can use the
>        layered textures to place other textures or colors below the
>        image.
>
>        The image map methods sphere, cylinder, and torus, wrap the
>        image once and only once around a unit shape of the same name. The
>        map may be scaled uniformly to apply to larger shapes. The maps
>        may be applied to any shapes, but the results are undefined.
>
>        The planar image map method is like a slide projector and

Thanks Ken,
  I could of course use the #version directive, and would on a large
file but I'm just the sort of person who likes to know how things
actually work.

Cheers, PoD.

Post a reply to this message

Did you also try it with commas in the vector? Been awhile since I even
used a vector in the 'plane' statement.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe