POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A Warning about Geocities Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:24:51 EDT (-0400)
  A Warning about Geocities (Message 6 to 15 of 35)
<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Jon A  Cruz
Subject: Re: A Warning about Geocities
Date: 30 Jun 1999 11:59:30
Message: <377A3F0C.78255A87@geocities.com>
You should probably have a link there so that people will know what is
going on.

perhaps http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/8984/ would do fine.

Vahur Krouverk wrote:

> Jon A. Cruz wrote:
> >
> > They have a new aggreement that includes a clause that basically says
> > they get to use whatever you post in whatever way they feel, forever and
> > at no charge.
> >
> > see http://slashdot.org/articles/99/06/29/1535228.shtml
> >
> > and
> >
> > http://copyright.focus-online.com/copyright.html
>
> Damn, I just updated my site. If someone wants, then feel free to visit
> it:
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/5016/

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 30 Jun 1999 15:12:35
Message: <377A6BE4.447E86E0@pacbell.net>
Just so I unaderstand the full ramifications of what you are warning us
about let me propose a hypothetical situation and you tell me if it applies
to this "new" policy you are alerting us to.

  I have a website on Geocities that is bound by this new contract. I
decide to host a mirror site for Pov-Ray and put a copy of all of the
binaries on this page for people to download.
  Does the new policy imply that because I have those files on my site
they now have the unimpeded right to use the official Pov program to make
money on it ?

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

I'm adding the following html to the top and bottom of my pages:

target="_blank">Boycott Geocities</a>

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:11:32 -0700, Ken wrote:
>  I have a website on Geocities that is bound by this new contract. I
>decide to host a mirror site for Pov-Ray and put a copy of all of the
>binaries on this page for people to download.
>  Does the new policy imply that because I have those files on my site
>they now have the unimpeded right to use the official Pov program to make
>money on it ?

No.  The new policy implies that you don't have the right to make the
mirror site, as you don't have the legal right to assign copyright on
the files.

Post a reply to this message

> On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:11:32 -0700, Ken wrote:
> >  I have a website on Geocities that is bound by this new contract. I
> >decide to host a mirror site for Pov-Ray and put a copy of all of the
> >binaries on this page for people to download.
> >  Does the new policy imply that because I have those files on my site
> >they now have the unimpeded right to use the official Pov program to make
> >money on it ?
>
> No.  The new policy implies that you don't have the right to make the
> mirror site, as you don't have the legal right to assign copyright on
> the files.

  Then only a fool would do business with these people !!!

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

> On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:11:32 -0700, Ken wrote:
> >  I have a website on Geocities that is bound by this new contract. I
> >decide to host a mirror site for Pov-Ray and put a copy of all of the
> >binaries on this page for people to download.
> >  Does the new policy imply that because I have those files on my site
> >they now have the unimpeded right to use the official Pov program to make
> >money on it ?
>
> No.  The new policy implies that you don't have the right to make the
> mirror site, as you don't have the legal right to assign copyright on
> the files.

Somebody should warn Chris Colefax if hasn't been warned yet!

Marc
--
Marc Schimmler

Post a reply to this message

>Somebody should warn Chris Colefax if hasn't been warned yet!
>
>Marc
>--
>Marc Schimmler

Just sent him an email.

--
Lance.

---
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone
For a totally different experience, visit my Chroma Key Website:
Colorblind - http://listen.to/colorblind

Post a reply to this message

> On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:11:32 -0700, Ken wrote:
>>  I have a website on Geocities that is bound by this new contract. I
>>decide to host a mirror site for Pov-Ray and put a copy of all of the
>>binaries on this page for people to download.
>>  Does the new policy imply that because I have those files on my site
>>they now have the unimpeded right to use the official Pov program to make
>>money on it ?
>
> No.  The new policy implies that you don't have the right to make the
> mirror site, as you don't have the legal right to assign copyright on
> the files.

Well, even if you would, there would be little they can do (legally) if you
have data with copyright on your site, at least if you are outside the US...
the worst they can do is take the site of there server.

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: Tho### [at] csicom