POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A Warning about Geocities Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:35:01 EDT (-0400)
  A Warning about Geocities (Message 11 to 20 of 35)
From: Marc Schimmler
Subject: Re: A Warning about Geocities
Date: 30 Jun 1999 16:05:41
Message: <377A7932.847A9C6B@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:11:32 -0700, Ken wrote:
> >  I have a website on Geocities that is bound by this new contract. I
> >decide to host a mirror site for Pov-Ray and put a copy of all of the
> >binaries on this page for people to download.
> >  Does the new policy imply that because I have those files on my site
> >they now have the unimpeded right to use the official Pov program to make
> >money on it ?
>
> No.  The new policy implies that you don't have the right to make the
> mirror site, as you don't have the legal right to assign copyright on
> the files.

Somebody should warn Chris Colefax if hasn't been warned yet!

Marc
--
Marc Schimmler

Post a reply to this message

From: Lance Birch
Date: 1 Jul 1999 00:38:46
Message: <377af0d6@news.povray.org>
>Somebody should warn Chris Colefax if hasn't been warned yet!
>
>Marc
>--
>Marc Schimmler

Just sent him an email.

--
Lance.

---
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone
For a totally different experience, visit my Chroma Key Website:
Colorblind - http://listen.to/colorblind

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 1 Jul 1999 03:21:57
Message: <377b1715@news.povray.org>
In article <377a73d8@news.povray.org> , par### [at] fwicom (Ron Parker) wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:11:32 -0700, Ken wrote:
>>  I have a website on Geocities that is bound by this new contract. I
>>decide to host a mirror site for Pov-Ray and put a copy of all of the
>>binaries on this page for people to download.
>>  Does the new policy imply that because I have those files on my site
>>they now have the unimpeded right to use the official Pov program to make
>>money on it ?
>
> No.  The new policy implies that you don't have the right to make the
> mirror site, as you don't have the legal right to assign copyright on
> the files.

Well, even if you would, there would be little they can do (legally) if you
have data with copyright on your site, at least if you are outside the US...
the worst they can do is take the site of there server.

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: Tho### [at] csicom