POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A Warning about Geocities : Re: A Warning about Geocities Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:21:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Warning about Geocities
From: Uwe Zimmermann
Date: 5 Jul 1999 07:38:10
Message: <37809920.B2287AB0@ele.kth.se>
Hej Ken, hej all!

First: Ken, you really seem to live "in" this list, concerning your
short answer delay times.... ;-)

Ken wrote:
>    Let's look at it from a different perspective. Let's say I take 1
> year making the most beautiful 3d raytraced image ever produced by
> anyone. I then decide to share the fruits of my labor with the world
> and then find it two weeks later as the official splash screen for
> Yahoo/Geocities making a fortune for them and not a penny goes to me.

I'm not a lawyer, nor am I firm in the juristic language (and by the way
I'm not employed by or in any other way related to Yahoo) used in the
USA or otherwhere on this planet (as these languages often differ quite
a lot from the "common" languages). However, in the Terms of Service the
now often cited and controversely discussed paragraph reads:

"[..] By submitting Content to any Yahoo property, you automatically
grant [..] Yahoo the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive
and fully sublicensable right and license to _use_, _reproduce_,
_modify_, _adapt_, _publish_, _translate_, _create derivative_ works
from, _distribute_, _perform and display_ such Content (in whole or
part) worldwide and/or to _incorporate_ it in other works in any form,
media, or technology now known or later developed. [..]"

Well isn't it, what we expect Yahoo to do? Publish our pages on a
worldwide basis?
Uploading something to your homepage at Geocities/Yahoo you do not
surrender your authorship to Yahoo! They still have to name you as
author/creator of your "most beautiful 3d raytraced image" whenever they
decide to put it somewhere else!

And by the way: who guarantees you that your picture is not used as the
title of a book somewhere else on this world, once you put it on the web
- without your knowledge and without you ever seeing the result.....

By the way, Yahoo is very concerned that the latter does not happen to
your creations, if you read article 23: Copyright and Copyright Agents
of the Terms of Service:
"Yahoo respects the intellectual property of others, and we ask our
users to do the same. If you believe that your work has been copied in a
way that constitutes copyright infringement, pleas provide Yahoo's
Copyright Agent the following: ..."

But that stuff above is only my own humbled opinion and my own
interpretation of the contract.

Uwe.