POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : C++ Rewrite? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:33:38 EDT (-0400)
  C++ Rewrite? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: C++ Rewrite?
Date: 5 May 1999 10:44:25
Message: <37304A9B.4E78CBF8@geocities.com>
I must say that the concept of rewriting POV 4.0
for/in/by/beneath/with/ontopof    C++ causes the non-programmer in me to
tremble.  What does this mean? Will the source code be rewritten more
efficiently in C++ or will one have to be a C++ afficiando in order to
understand the language?

I like the fact that POV 3.x is not too different from the BASIC I
learned as a teenager.  I am trying to teach myself Java, and I think
Java stinks.  Anti-intuitiveness and stupid descriptions of variables
and functions abound!  I've also spent more time reading about the
"benefits" of object-oriented programming  and encapsulation and
inheritance than I have actual Java coding, and I'm very unimpressed.
I'm continuing to learn in case there  is some 3-D application in my
career someday, but it's not as fun as POV.

Is this the ultimate programmer's revenge? Kicking us non CS-er's out of
the POV community?

________________
Greg M. Johnson
"The program I just wrote is a patentable, new technology,"
said the CS to the Fellow of the Materials Research Society.

Post a reply to this message

> I must say that the concept of rewriting POV 4.0
> for/in/by/beneath/with/ontopof    C++ causes the non-programmer in me to
> tremble.  What does this mean? Will the source code be rewritten more
> efficiently in C++ or will one have to be a C++ afficiando in order to
> understand the language?

Don't worry, this is only an internal issue which has nothing to do with the
scene language. For users POV-Ray for won't be different to use than any
other version of POV-Ray.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.

> I must say that the concept of rewriting POV 4.0
> for/in/by/beneath/with/ontopof    C++ causes the non-programmer in me to
> tremble.  What does this mean? Will the source code be rewritten more
> efficiently in C++ or will one have to be a C++ afficiando in order to
> understand the language?
>
> I like the fact that POV 3.x is not too different from the BASIC I
> learned as a teenager.  I am trying to teach myself Java, and I think
> Java stinks.  Anti-intuitiveness and stupid descriptions of variables
> and functions abound!  I've also spent more time reading about the
> "benefits" of object-oriented programming  and encapsulation and
> inheritance than I have actual Java coding, and I'm very unimpressed.
> I'm continuing to learn in case there  is some 3-D application in my
> career someday, but it's not as fun as POV.
>
> Is this the ultimate programmer's revenge? Kicking us non CS-er's out of
> the POV community?

I don't think that the implementation of povray 4.0 would change too
much in the syntax of the scripting language. I guess that some
approaches might be easier to implement using C++ than c (although I've
seen C code that worked around a lots of problems most elegant).
Actually I came to believe that the povray scripting language is very
similar to the C syntax and not too much with BASIC. At least commandos
like #include the {} brackets and many more things are typical for C
(and even C++).
I would say have no fear regarding a C++ implementation.

Marc
--
Marc Schimmler

Post a reply to this message