POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Equiation needed Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:36:40 EDT (-0400)
  Equiation needed (Message 1 to 10 of 45)
From: Peter Popov
Subject: Equiation needed
Date: 23 Feb 1999 23:54:11
Message: <3c796fc0.8500773@news.povray.org>
Can anyone suggest an equation that gives the distance to a unit
circle lying in the x-z plane? It should look like an wood pattern
whose axis is not +z but a circle. Any ideas?

TIA.

---------
Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700

Post a reply to this message

This is untested but I'm fairly sure it's right.

Assume X, Y, Z are the coords of the point in question.
D is the distance to the unit circle.

D = sqrt( pow(Y,2) + pow(sqrt(pow(X,2)+pow(Z,2))-1,2) )

Good luck.

Gordon
<gbe### [at] birdcameroncomau>

Peter Popov wrote in message <3c796fc0.8500773@news.povray.org>...
>Can anyone suggest an equation that gives the distance to a unit

>circle lying in the x-z plane? It should look like an wood pattern

>whose axis is not +z but a circle. Any ideas?

>TIA.

>---------

>Peter Popov

>ICQ: 15002700

Post a reply to this message

Your system date appear to be 24 Feb 2002.
The question is : what are the new features of POV-Ray 4.2 ?

Cheers,
Fabien.

Post a reply to this message

--
//Spider
( spi### [at] bahnhofse ) [ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999 10:32:22 +0100, Fabien Mosen
<101### [at] compuservecom> wrote:

>just a question :
>Your system date appear to be 24 Feb 2002.
>The question is : what are the new features of POV-Ray 4.2 ?
>
>Cheers,
>Fabien.

Reinstalled IE4.0 :)
At least now I know I am y2k prepared.

---------
Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700

Post a reply to this message

>Can anyone suggest an equation that gives the distance to a unit
>circle lying in the x-z plane? It should look like an wood pattern
>whose axis is not +z but a circle. Any ideas?

If you have Superpatch, just use this macro (I just wrote this,
haven't tried it yet.)

#macro TorusWood ( Major )
  function { sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z-Major*(2*sqrt(x*x+z*z)-Major)) }
#end

Put it where you'd normally have the name of the pattern, as in:

pigment {
  TorusWood( 5 )
  color_map {
    [0/3 color Red]
    [1/3 color Green]
    [2/3 color Blue]
    [3/3 color Red]
  }
}

Here are some other pattern macros:

// A torus-shaped density pattern, from which the above was derived.

#macro Toroidal ( Major ) // minor radius always 1
  function { max(0,1-sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z-Major*(2*sqrt(x*x+z*z)-Major))) }
#end

// Two point-to-point cones around the y-axis, similar to the cylindrical
// pattern except the width of the cylinder at any point is the same as
// the y-coordinate value. (untested)

#macro Conical ( )
  function { max(0,1-sqrt(x*x+z*z)/abs(y)) }
#end

// A variable number of concentric cones, can be used with the radial
// pattern to create longitude-latitude lines on a sphere.

#macro Latitudes ( Frequency )
  #local Pi = pi; // don't ask, some "feature" of Superpatch
  function { Frequency*asin(y/sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z))/Pi+Frequency/2 }
#end

More coming as soon as I finish my finals and have time for raytracing
again..

--
Ilmari Karonen (ilt### [at] scifi)
http://www.sci.fi/~iltzu/

Post a reply to this message

Argh.. it this thread going to perpetually sit at the very top/bottom of our
newsreaders? :P

Matt

Peter Popov wrote in message <3c796fc0.8500773@news.povray.org>...
>Can anyone suggest an equation that gives the distance to a unit
>circle lying in the x-z plane? It should look like an wood pattern
>whose axis is not +z but a circle. Any ideas?
>
>TIA.
>

>---------
>Peter Popov
>ICQ: 15002700