POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : matrix question Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:27:26 EDT (-0400)
  matrix question (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Rune S  Johansen
Subject: matrix question
Date: 30 Mar 1999 17:41:01
Message: <370152fd.0@news.povray.org>
Normally a matrix can transform
an object so the point x can become
P1, y can become P2, z can become
P3 and the origin becomes P4.
How can I do this thing backwards?
I.e. P1 becomes x, P2 becomes y,
P3 becomes z, and P4 becomes the
origin. The way I tried it I only
got a lot of divide by zero warnings.

Thanks,

Rune S. Johansen
http://hjem.get2net.dk/rsj

Post a reply to this message

From: Nieminen Mika
Subject: Re: matrix question
Date: 31 Mar 1999 02:11:34
Message: <3701caa6.0@news.povray.org>
Rune S. Johansen <run### [at] get2netdk> wrote:
: Normally a matrix can transform
: an object so the point x can become
: P1, y can become P2, z can become
: P3 and the origin becomes P4.
: How can I do this thing backwards?

  I think that in this case you have to transform them with the inverse of
the matrix.
  Somebody can tell you how the inverse of a matrix is calculated.

From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 31 Mar 1999 08:53:19
Message: <qqmbth93gvk.fsf@goldach.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
"Rune S. Johansen" <run### [at] get2netdk> writes:

> Normally a matrix can transform
> an object so the point x can become
> P1, y can become P2, z can become
> P3 and the origin becomes P4.
> How can I do this thing backwards?
> I.e. P1 becomes x, P2 becomes y,
> P3 becomes z, and P4 becomes the
> origin. The way I tried it I only
> got a lot of divide by zero warnings.

In practice, the matrix keyword in povray divides into a
- a linear function given by the matrix entries Val00 to Val22
- a transformation given by Val30 to Val32

If you want to calculate the inverse function, you have to
- invert the 3x3 matrix Val00 to Val22
- take the negative of the vector Val30 to Val32
How to calculate a inverse matrix should be described in every
linear algebra book. Keep in mind, that not every matrix is
invertible.

I hope this helps

Thomas

--