POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Math problem Server Time
12 Aug 2024 09:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  Math problem (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Andrew Cocker
Subject: Math problem
Date: 12 Mar 1999 15:36:19
Message: <36e97ac3.0@news.povray.org>
I hope someone can help get me started with my latest experiment.

I want to try out arrays. My plan is to create a cube made up of, say, 20x20x20 tiny
spheres. If I pick one of these spheres and designate it to be the centre of the
effect
I'm trying to create, and scale it by a factor of 2, how do I make the surrounding
spheres
get gradually smaller until 5 spheres away they are back to scale 1? I plan to animate
the
effect so that the centre of the effect moves around inside the array of spheres.

I have heard the term 'fields' used. Is this the method I should use, and if so, could
anyone suggest either how it is done, or else point me in the direction of where I can
find more out about it.

I am not a mathematician or a programmer, but I hand-code only so I should be able to
make
use of any suggestions, as long as you assume large levels of ignorance on my part.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Andy

Post a reply to this message