POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Math problem : Re: Math problem Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:25:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Math problem
From: Josh English
Date: 15 Mar 1999 15:07:22
Message: <36ED68E1.77DEB9D2@spiritone.com>
Andrew Cocker wrote:

> I hope someone can help get me started with my latest experiment.
>
> I want to try out arrays. My plan is to create a cube made up of, say, 20x20x20 tiny
> spheres. If I pick one of these spheres and designate it to be the centre of the
effect
> I'm trying to create, and scale it by a factor of 2, how do I make the surrounding
spheres
> get gradually smaller until 5 spheres away they are back to scale 1? I plan to
animate the
> effect so that the centre of the effect moves around inside the array of spheres.
>
> I have heard the term 'fields' used. Is this the method I should use, and if so,
could
> anyone suggest either how it is done, or else point me in the direction of where I
can
> find more out about it.
>
> I am not a mathematician or a programmer, but I hand-code only so I should be able
to make
> use of any suggestions, as long as you assume large levels of ignorance on my part.
>
> Many thanks in anticipation.
>
> -----------
> Andy

I started a test file to look at this as follows:

#declare MyGrid = array[10][10]

// initalize the array
#macro InitGrid ()
  #declare i = 0;
  #declare j = 0;

  #while ( i < 10 )
    #while ( j < 10 )
      #declare MyGrid[i][j] = 1;
      #declare j = j + 1;
    #end
    #declare i = i + 1;
  #end
#end

#macro DrawGrid ()
  #declare i = 0;
  #declare j = 0;

  #while (i < 10 )
    #while ( j < 10 )
      sphere { <i*2,2,j*2> MyGrid[i][j]
               pigment { red 1 }
               finish { phong 1 } }
      #declare j = j + 1;
    #end
    #declare i = i + 1;
  #end
#end

InitGrid()
DrawGrid()

And in theory this is place to start, but when I render this code I get 10 spheres
instead of
100. It would appear that POV Ray does not like nested loops but there is nothing I
can find
to support this theory... has anyone else run into this or am I missing somthing very
obvious
in my code?
--
Josh English