POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Desktop Theme (2nd try) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:37:26 EDT (-0400)
  POV Desktop Theme (2nd try) (Message 21 to 27 of 27)
From: Vahur Krouverk
Subject: Re: POV Desktop Theme (2nd try)
Date: 25 Feb 1999 09:38:20
Message: <36D560AE.30346F97@fv.aetec.ee>
Markus Becker wrote:

> Bob Hughes wrote:
> >
> > They're great. All configured into my Windows theme nicely. Must have
> > been a bad d/l or other unforeseen circumstance for Markus.
> >
> I guess if it had been a bad download, the ZIP file would
> have been corrupt. It was not. So I guess it's my video driver.

I have same problem: cursors are black in background. I have NT 4.0, SP
3, video card is S3 (i think), 1024x768x16M.

Post a reply to this message

From: Rune S  Johansen
Date: 25 Feb 1999 16:15:17
Message: <36d5bd65.0@news.povray.org>
Dick Balaska wrote:
>Markus Becker wrote:
>>
>> Bob Hughes wrote:
>> >
>> > They're great. All configured into my Windows theme nicely. Must have
>> > been a bad d/l or other unforeseen circumstance for Markus.
>> >
>> I guess if it had been a bad download, the ZIP file would
>> have been corrupt. It was not. So I guess it's my video driver.
>
>But none of you has mentioned which version of Windows you're using.
>NT or 95? (98 is just 95 w/ie4)  They are very very different.
>I would guess Bob runs 95 and Markus, NT.
>
>dik

How can the cursors be made so they works on both W95 and NT?
Currently 12 of the cursors are in true-color. Should I use
fewer colors?
Also, how should icons be made? (My Computer, Recycle Bin ect...)

Rune S. Johansen
http://hjem.get2net.dk/rsj

Post a reply to this message

From: Markus Becker
Date: 26 Feb 1999 06:14:08
Message: <36D68200.AFEE012A@zess.uni-siegen.de>
Dick Balaska wrote:

> But none of you has mentioned which version of Windows you're using.
> NT or 95? (98 is just 95 w/ie4)  They are very very different.
> I would guess Bob runs 95 and Markus, NT.

Right, NT 4.0 SP4 S3 card, 1152*864*16M, but a cursor should be a cursor
and an icon should be an icon (and a rose should be a .. oops).
Or are they different in 9x/NT?

Markus
--

 Ich nicht eine Sekunde!!!" H. Heinol in Val Thorens

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob Hughes
Date: 26 Feb 1999 21:06:56
Message: <36D75315.C721E495@aol.com>
No need to do that, Markus (sending a screen capture), I believe you. I
have win95 alright, and MS Plus!. Must be the NT then, seems to me the
NT doesn't care for a great deal of colors in such things. NT isn't a
plaything you know ;-]

Vahur Krouverk wrote:

> Markus Becker wrote:
> >
> > Bob Hughes wrote:
> > >
> > > They're great. All configured into my Windows theme nicely. Must have
> > > been a bad d/l or other unforeseen circumstance for Markus.
> > >
> > I guess if it had been a bad download, the ZIP file would
> > have been corrupt. It was not. So I guess it's my video driver.
> >
> I have same problem: cursors are black in background. I have NT 4.0, SP
> 3, video card is S3 (i think), 1024x768x16M.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe
 mailto:inv### [at] aolcom?PoV

Post a reply to this message

From: Dick Balaska
Date: 27 Feb 1999 09:52:07
Message: <36D80683.CF4CFAB@buckosoft.com>
Markus Becker wrote:

> Right, NT 4.0 SP4 S3 card, 1152*864*16M, but a cursor should be a cursor
> and an icon should be an icon (and a rose should be a .. oops).
> Or are they different in 9x/NT?

Yes.  As soon as you move slightly below the surface of the glass,
the similarity pretty much ends.
Perhaps you've read lately how M$ has to rethink their Windoze2000
approach.  The original idea was to get everybody away from that yucky,
buggy 32bit-shell-over-16bit-M$DOS to the yucky, but more stable 32bit
OS.
The problem is that 95% of software (especially non-M$ games and edu
s/w)
doesn't run on NT.  Oops!  M$ is still trying to decide whether they can
get away with pushing this over on everyone.

I myself, just spent a $500 developer call to learn that printing
is broken in Win9x.  M$ acknowledges this.  There is a workaround.

Video is very different in 9x/NT, which is why many of the
aforementioned
games don't work.  A manufacturer writing video drivers (which includes
cursor handling) has to start from the ground up for both OSes.

Take my Imagine 128.  On NT, it installs and works.  On 95, it installs
all these cool toys to go with it; multiple desktops, virtual desktops
dynamic resizing of the screen, etc.  Same thing with my Diamond Fire.

> Markus
> --

>  Ich nicht eine Sekunde!!!" H. Heinol in Val Thorens

"Und Du bist mein Sofa!" - FZ in One Size Fits All

--
           _,--"
dik        `-._        ________-_______        "----

Post a reply to this message

From: Markus Becker
Date: 2 Mar 1999 10:30:48
Message: <36DC0499.2651135B@zess.uni-siegen.de>
Dick Balaska wrote:

> Markus Becker wrote:
>
> > Right, NT 4.0 SP4 S3 card, 1152*864*16M, but a cursor should be a cursor
> > and an icon should be an icon (and a rose should be a .. oops).
> > Or are they different in 9x/NT?
>
> Yes.  As soon as you move slightly below the surface of the glass,
> the similarity pretty much ends.

*sigh*

Yes, I know pretty well how much difference there is between Win9x
and NT. That's not what I asked. I asked: "are the Icons different
between NT and 9x?"

So, I ask again: Is there a difference between the icon file format
between Windows NT and 9X?

Markus

Post a reply to this message

From: Rudy Velthuis
Date: 2 Mar 1999 12:05:48
Message: <36dc1a6c.0@news.povray.org>
Markus Becker schrieb in Nachricht <36DC0499.2651135B@zess.uni-siegen.de>...

>So, I ask again: Is there a difference between the icon file format
>between Windows NT and 9X?

No. They should be perfectly the same (icons in NT4, 95 and 98).

But there are differences in graphics drivers. So the problem really is
driver related, I think. There have been problems with other programs too.
I've seen some very long threads about Delphi 4 having troubles with some
graphics boards, not showing the glyphs of their buttons, or showing them
with an edge, or just killing the entire program at startup. Most of these
problems were with NT4, SP3 (don't know about SP4 tho, propably the same)
and were due to older drivers, as sometimes there were no newer drivers
available.
--
Rudy Velthuis