POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature Request Server Time
12 Aug 2024 09:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Feature Request (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Kyle
Subject: Feature Request
Date: 11 Mar 1999 16:11:12
Message: <36E8313E.A7368B6E@geocities.com>
Hi everyone.  You know, if there is any single feature that I would like
to see added to Pov-Ray, it would be a way to add realistic
smoke/fumes.  For instance, exhaust from a car muffler, smoke from a
train smoke stack, steam from a tea kettle, dust raised behind a
chariots wheels, that sort of stuff.  I always find myself in need of
this feature and have never been able to jerry-rig anything that looks
acceptable.  I know one could hypothetically do this with media, but
honestly?  I would like to be able to set some basic parameters such as
origin, direction, starting width, ending width, length, color,
transparentcy, turbulence, and probably some more but I can't think of
them right now.  If I had that (and a Moray plugin for it) I would be a
very happy camper.
		Kyle

Post a reply to this message

It can be done with media and it should be done with media. You're right,
however. It's difficult. So what we need is a macro to facilitate it. The
smokegen plugin does an excellent job in many cases. I think this is a
perfect basis for future improvements.
As for Moray plugins, I'm not familiar with their possibilities yet. But
somebody else surely is...

Margus

Kyle wrote in message <36E8313E.A7368B6E@geocities.com>...
>Hi everyone.  You know, if there is any single feature that I would like
>to see added to Pov-Ray, it would be a way to add realistic
>smoke/fumes.  For instance, exhaust from a car muffler, smoke from a
>train smoke stack, steam from a tea kettle, dust raised behind a
>chariots wheels, that sort of stuff.  I always find myself in need of
>this feature and have never been able to jerry-rig anything that looks
>acceptable.  I know one could hypothetically do this with media, but
>honestly?  I would like to be able to set some basic parameters such as
>origin, direction, starting width, ending width, length, color,
>transparentcy, turbulence, and probably some more but I can't think of
>them right now.  If I had that (and a Moray plugin for it) I would be a
>very happy camper.
> Kyle

Post a reply to this message

> It can be done with media and it should be done with media. You're right,
> however. It's difficult. So what we need is a macro to facilitate it. The
> smokegen plugin does an excellent job in many cases.

SMOKEGEN?  I've never heard of that, what is it?  Is there somewhere I
can download it?
Also, here's something that's always confused me.  When everyone says
"macro" do they mean a keyboard macro, or is it something else?
		Kyle

> I think this is a
> perfect basis for future improvements.
> As for Moray plugins, I'm not familiar with their possibilities yet. But
> somebody else surely is...
>
> Margus

Post a reply to this message

> > It can be done with media and it should be done with media. You're right,
> > however. It's difficult. So what we need is a macro to facilitate it. The
> > smokegen plugin does an excellent job in many cases.
>
> SMOKEGEN?  I've never heard of that, what is it?  Is there somewhere I
> can download it?
> Also, here's something that's always confused me.  When everyone says
> "macro" do they mean a keyboard macro, or is it something else?
>                 Kyle
>
> > I think this is a
> > perfect basis for future improvements.
> > As for Moray plugins, I'm not familiar with their possibilities yet. But
> > somebody else surely is...
> >
> > Margus

People mostly mean POVs(3.1) #macro(blah,blahblah) command, read alll
about it in
the manual

Post a reply to this message

>SMOKEGEN?  I've never heard of that, what is it?  Is there somewhere I
>can download it?

Smokegen homepage: http://www.studenter.hb.se/~arch/smokegen/smokegen.htm

Margus

Post a reply to this message

> People mostly mean POVs(3.1) #macro(blah,blahblah) command, read alll
> about it in
> the manual

Ahh, that's what I thought.  I hear so much about it I guess I better
have a look.

		Kyle

Post a reply to this message

>> People mostly mean POVs(3.1) #macro(blah,blahblah) command, read alll
>> about it in
>> the manual
>>

>Ahh, that's what I thought.  I hear so much about it I guess I better
>have a look.

Yo, you better, otherwise you miss 90% of the fun (if you are handcoding
that is, since you have mentioned Moray: then probably not ;-)

Johannes.

Post a reply to this message