POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q: Sine Wave Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:17:37 EDT (-0400)
  Q: Sine Wave (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Ken
Subject: Q: Sine Wave
Date: 2 Feb 1999 02:28:45
Message: <36B6A90E.4FB9D6DF@pacbell.net>
Greetings !

Could someone please provide me an example of how to create
a sine wave using a while loop to translate/rotate(?) a sphere.

Example:

      --         --         --
    /    \     /    \     /    \
___/      \___/      \___/      \___

Appreciate any help and thanks !

--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet

Post a reply to this message

From: Marc Schimmler
Subject: Re: Q: Sine Wave
Date: 2 Feb 1999 02:43:54
Message: <36B6ACB0.1393FF2@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Ken wrote:

> Greetings !
>
> Could someone please provide me an example of how to create
> a sine wave using a while loop to translate/rotate(?) a sphere.
>
> Example:
>
>       --         --         --
>     /    \     /    \     /    \
> ___/      \___/      \___/      \___
>
> Appreciate any help and thanks !
>
> --
> Ken Tyler
>
> tyl### [at] pacbellnet

I tried this one in v3.02

-------

camera {
 rotate <0,180,0>
 location <45,0,-40>
 look_at  <45,0,0>
 angle 60
}

#declare i=0;

#while (i<90)
 sphere {0,1
         pigment {rgb <1,0,0>}
         finish {ambient 1.0}
		 translate <i,10*sin(i*pi/30),0>}
 #declare i = i + 1;
#end;

-----

Marc
--
Marc Schimmler

Post a reply to this message

From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 2 Feb 1999 04:22:38
Message: <36b6c3de.0@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
: Could someone please provide me an example of how to create
: a sine wave using a while loop to translate/rotate(?) a sphere.

  Since I'm a programmer and a perfectionist, I will give you a more
detailed answer than the one already given:

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------

// I'm not completely sure about the terms used here; correct as needed
#declare Amplitude=1;
#declare Cycles=3;
#declare StartAngle=pi*3/2;

#declare WaveStartX=-5;
#declare WaveWidth=10;

#declare ItemAmnt=100;
#declare Item=sphere { 0,.1 pigment { rgb <1,0,0> } finish { specular .5 } }

//---

#declare Index=0;
#while(Index<ItemAmnt)
  #declare Angle=StartAngle+2*pi*Cycles*Index/ItemAmnt;
  #declare PosX=WaveStartX+WaveWidth*Index/ItemAmnt;
  #declare PosY=Amplitude*sin(Angle);
  object { Item translate <PosX,PosY,0> }
  #declare Index=Index+1;
#end

//---

camera { location -z*20 look_at 0 angle 35 }
light_source { <100,150,-100> 1 }

--
main(i){char*_="BdsyFBThhHFBThhHFRz]NFTITQF|DJIFHQhhF";while(i=
*_++)for(;i>1;printf("%s",i-70?i&1?"[]":" ":(i=0,"\n")),i/=2);} /*- Warp. -*/

Post a reply to this message