POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Overlapped transparent objects lose transparency. Why? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 09:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  Overlapped transparent objects lose transparency. Why? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Ruben Soto
Subject: Overlapped transparent objects lose transparency. Why?
Date: 27 Jan 1999 09:55:48
Message: <36AF2911.56B4@jet.es>

hope any of you know what did I do wrong.
  I took an object that represents a glass full of whater from the VFAQ,
and I set up a scene with it. I set the pigment of the CSG object
representing the crystal glass to have a transparency of .8, and the
transparency of the cone representing the water to .9. I have this
problem: When I render this scene, the parts of the water that are in
rays that only go through 4 surfaces (Both surfaces of the water cone,
and the in and out surface of the glass), appear with the right
transparency. However, the parts of the water that are in rays that have
to cross 6 surfaces (An additional in and out surface of the glass,
because of the perspective), appear not to be hardly transparent!
  What is the problem here? Is it some setting of POV that I have wrong?
I have included the POV source below, in case you want to take a look.

here! ;-)
  Thanks!

  Ruben Soto

#include "colors.inc"
camera {location <0, 8, -5>
        look_at <0, 2, 0>
       }

light_source{
             0*x
             color red 1.0  green 1.0  blue 1.0
             translate <-5, 2, -10>
}
plane {y, 0
       pigment {White}
       finish {ambient .5}
      }

plane {z, 5
       pigment {Red}
      }

// A simple water glass made with a difference:
#declare MyGlass=
difference
{ cone { <0,0,0>,1,<0,5,0>,1.2 }
  cone { <0,.1,0>,.9,<0,5.1,0>,1.1 }
  pigment {rgbt <.4, .7, .9, .8>}
  finish { reflection .1}
}

#declare MyGlassWithWater=
union
{ object { MyGlass }
  intersection
  { cone { <0,.1,0>,.9,<0,5.1,0>,1.1 }
    plane { y,4 }
    scale .999
    pigment { rgbt <.4, .7, 1, .9>}
    finish {ambient .1}
  }
}

object {MyGlassWithWater}

Post a reply to this message

Next time you're over in the VFAQ, check out the first question on the list:
http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ.html#maxtracelevel

-Nathan

Post a reply to this message

Ruben Soto wrote in message <36A### [at] jetes>...

>hope any of you know what did I do wrong.
>  I took an object that represents a glass full of whater from the VFAQ,
>and I set up a scene with it. I set the pigment of the CSG object
>representing the crystal glass to have a transparency of .8, and the
>transparency of the cone representing the water to .9. I have this
>problem: When I render this scene, the parts of the water that are in
>rays that only go through 4 surfaces (Both surfaces of the water cone,
>and the in and out surface of the glass), appear with the right
>transparency. However, the parts of the water that are in rays that have
>to cross 6 surfaces (An additional in and out surface of the glass,
>because of the perspective), appear not to be hardly transparent!
>  What is the problem here? Is it some setting of POV that I have wrong?
>I have included the POV source below, in case you want to take a look.

>here! ;-)
>  Thanks!
>
>  Ruben Soto
>
>#include "colors.inc"
>camera {location <0, 8, -5>
>        look_at <0, 2, 0>
>       }
>
>light_source{
>             0*x
>             color red 1.0  green 1.0  blue 1.0
>             translate <-5, 2, -10>
>}
>plane {y, 0
>       pigment {White}
>       finish {ambient .5}
>      }
>
>plane {z, 5
>       pigment {Red}
>      }
>
>// A simple water glass made with a difference:
>#declare MyGlass=
>difference
>{ cone { <0,0,0>,1,<0,5,0>,1.2 }
>  cone { <0,.1,0>,.9,<0,5.1,0>,1.1 }
>  pigment {rgbt <.4, .7, .9, .8>}
>  finish { reflection .1}
>}
>
>#declare MyGlassWithWater=
>union
>{ object { MyGlass }
>  intersection
>  { cone { <0,.1,0>,.9,<0,5.1,0>,1.1 }
>    plane { y,4 }
>    scale .999
>    pigment { rgbt <.4, .7, 1, .9>}
>    finish {ambient .1}
>  }
>}
>
>object {MyGlassWithWater}

Post a reply to this message

To Warp: I know, I gave the "wrong" URL again ;-), but it is simply easier
to cut-and-paste from the URL field, and this is the URL the browser shows
after the redirect took place...

Johannes.

Post a reply to this message

> hope any of you know what did I do wrong.
>   I took an object that represents a glass full of whater from the VFAQ,
> and I set up a scene with it. I set the pigment of the CSG object
> representing the crystal glass to have a transparency of .8, and the
> transparency of the cone representing the water to .9. I have this
> problem: When I render this scene, the parts of the water that are in
> rays that only go through 4 surfaces (Both surfaces of the water cone,
> and the in and out surface of the glass), appear with the right
> transparency. However, the parts of the water that are in rays that have
> to cross 6 surfaces (An additional in and out surface of the glass,
> because of the perspective), appear not to be hardly transparent!
>   What is the problem here? Is it some setting of POV that I have wrong?
> I have included the POV source below, in case you want to take a look.

> here! ;-)
>   Thanks!
>
>   Ruben Soto
>
> #include "colors.inc"
> camera {location <0, 8, -5>
>         look_at <0, 2, 0>
>        }
>
> light_source{
>              0*x
>              color red 1.0  green 1.0  blue 1.0
>              translate <-5, 2, -10>
> }
> plane {y, 0
>        pigment {White}
>        finish {ambient .5}
>       }
>
> plane {z, 5
>        pigment {Red}
>       }
>
> // A simple water glass made with a difference:
> #declare MyGlass=
> difference
> { cone { <0,0,0>,1,<0,5,0>,1.2 }
>   cone { <0,.1,0>,.9,<0,5.1,0>,1.1 }
>   pigment {rgbt <.4, .7, .9, .8>}
>   finish { reflection .1}
> }
>
> #declare MyGlassWithWater=
> union
> { object { MyGlass }
>   intersection
>   { cone { <0,.1,0>,.9,<0,5.1,0>,1.1 }
>     plane { y,4 }
>     scale .999
>     pigment { rgbt <.4, .7, 1, .9>}
>     finish {ambient .1}
>   }
> }
>
> object {MyGlassWithWater}
  Thanks to both of you. I know I should read the VFAQ before asking
these kind of questions, but I am in this stage of amazement and
anxiousness to get quick results (I got the program not even 2 weeks
ago), that I guess every newbie goes through. Again, thanks!