POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Overlapped transparent objects lose transparency. Why? : Overlapped transparent objects lose transparency. Why? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 07:12:18 EDT (-0400)
  Overlapped transparent objects lose transparency. Why?
From: Ruben Soto
Date: 27 Jan 1999 09:55:48
Message: <36AF2911.56B4@jet.es>

hope any of you know what did I do wrong.
  I took an object that represents a glass full of whater from the VFAQ,
and I set up a scene with it. I set the pigment of the CSG object
representing the crystal glass to have a transparency of .8, and the
transparency of the cone representing the water to .9. I have this
problem: When I render this scene, the parts of the water that are in
rays that only go through 4 surfaces (Both surfaces of the water cone,
and the in and out surface of the glass), appear with the right
transparency. However, the parts of the water that are in rays that have
to cross 6 surfaces (An additional in and out surface of the glass,
because of the perspective), appear not to be hardly transparent!
  What is the problem here? Is it some setting of POV that I have wrong?
I have included the POV source below, in case you want to take a look.

here! ;-)
  Thanks!

  Ruben Soto

#include "colors.inc"
camera {location <0, 8, -5>
        look_at <0, 2, 0>
       }

light_source{
             0*x
             color red 1.0  green 1.0  blue 1.0
             translate <-5, 2, -10>
}
plane {y, 0
       pigment {White}
       finish {ambient .5}
      }

plane {z, 5
       pigment {Red}
      }

// A simple water glass made with a difference:
#declare MyGlass=
difference
{ cone { <0,0,0>,1,<0,5,0>,1.2 }
  cone { <0,.1,0>,.9,<0,5.1,0>,1.1 }