POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Atmospheric Media Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:30:00 EDT (-0400)
  Atmospheric Media (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Darcy Johnston
Subject: Atmospheric Media
Date: 3 Jan 1999 14:23:02
Message: <368fc396.0@news.povray.org>
Can anyone possibly offer any help here? I've been trying to setup some
atmosphere using media, hoping to have spotlighs running through it. I've
followed the examples files that came with the distribution, but I can't get
my light beams to show up in the media?

My media statement is:
media {
  intervals 40
  scattering { 1, rgb 0.02}
  samples 1, 10
  confidence 0.9999
  variance 1/1000
  ratio 0.9
}

And my lights are just spotlights with media_attenuation on. I've placed
regular cones to verify that the beams should be within my field of view,
but even though the cones show up, the beams never do (and yes, I have
removed the cones <g>).

Any help would be appreciated,
Darcy
djo### [at] inamecomNOSPAM
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Sector/4317

Post a reply to this message

> Can anyone possibly offer any help here? I've been trying to setup some
> atmosphere using media, hoping to have spotlighs running through it. I've
> followed the examples files that came with the distribution, but I can't get
> my light beams to show up in the media?
>
> My media statement is:
> media {
>   intervals 40
>   scattering { 1, rgb 0.02}
>   samples 1, 10
>   confidence 0.9999
>   variance 1/1000
>   ratio 0.9
> }
>
> And my lights are just spotlights with media_attenuation on. I've placed
> regular cones to verify that the beams should be within my field of view,
> but even though the cones show up, the beams never do (and yes, I have
> removed the cones <g>).
>
> Any help would be appreciated,
> Darcy
> djo### [at] inamecomNOSPAM
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Sector/4317

Are you using high intensity spot lights ? I noticed in the example
scenes they have the color values pumped up to a fairly high level.

Try something like color rgb<3,3,3> and see what happens.

--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet

Post a reply to this message

>> Can anyone possibly offer any help here? I've been trying to setup some
>> atmosphere using media, hoping to have spotlighs running through it. I've
>> followed the examples files that came with the distribution, but I can't
get
>> my light beams to show up in the media?
[...]
>> And my lights are just spotlights with media_attenuation on. I've placed
>> regular cones to verify that the beams should be within my field of view,
>> but even though the cones show up, the beams never do (and yes, I have
>> removed the cones <g>).

>Are you using high intensity spot lights ? I noticed in the example
>scenes they have the color values pumped up to a fairly high level.
>
>Try something like color rgb<3,3,3> and see what happens.

Thanks, I tried intensifying my lights and that seems to have done the
trick.
Although in my case I decided to crank it all the way to 15 or so. :)

Thanks again,