POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : HELP PLEASE - Rendering time Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:13:18 EDT (-0400)
  HELP PLEASE - Rendering time (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: raven
Subject: HELP PLEASE - Rendering time
Date: 19 Dec 1998 16:11:59
Message: <367c169f.0@news.povray.org>
Hallo,
I work with Rhinoceros as registerd user and with the Rhino I use for
designing MoRay as registered user too. For rendering I use your very great
program POVRay 3.0. This one is indeed very excellent in WIN NT4.0, all is
O.K. But I have a little problem with rendering time. Now I render a scene
with 349 objects, 7 spotlites and 4 AreaLights. On the bootom bar in MoRay I
read these values: 66572 V (69%), 107636 E (63%), in "Advanced" window I
have set: Memory in kB to use for Vertices: 3000, Memory in kB to use for
Edges: 2000, Minimum number of lines to draw before refreshing 1000, Maximum
number of lines to draw before refreshing 2000. The picture has size: 2048 x
1536, Antialiasing on, Radiosity On. My machine: Pentium II - 266 MHz,
grafic card ATI - 8 MB, 192 MB RAM, size of Virtual Memory 250 MB, Free disc
memory - 800 MB. I am rendering this picture 3 days and 7 hours and is ready
74 % only. On the bottom bar is remark 0 PPS.
Please, would you be so very kind to send me some information about my
setting and advice if it is all O.K.? Or I make some fault (error)?
Please, please.
All the best for you,
raven
stu### [at] iolcz

Post a reply to this message

>I work with Rhinoceros as registerd user and with the Rhino I use for
>designing MoRay as registered user too. For rendering I use your very great
>program POVRay 3.0. This one is indeed very excellent in WIN NT4.0, all is
>O.K. But I have a little problem with rendering time. Now I render a scene
>with 349 objects, 7 spotlites and 4 AreaLights. On the bootom bar in MoRay
>read these values: 66572 V (69%), 107636 E (63%), in "Advanced" window I
>have set: Memory in kB to use for Vertices: 3000, Memory in kB to use for
>Edges: 2000, Minimum number of lines to draw before refreshing 1000,
Maximum
>number of lines to draw before refreshing 2000.

None of these has ANY effect on povray only Moray

 The picture has size: 2048 x
>1536, Antialiasing on, Radiosity On.

Be prepared to wait  both radiousity and Anti-Aliasing take longer (as does
adding more light sources and media/halo and a few other things)

 My machine: Pentium II - 266 MHz,
>grafic card ATI - 8 MB,

graphics card doesn't help nor hinder renders

 192 MB RAM, size of Virtual Memory 250 MB, Free disc
>memory - 800 MB. I am rendering this picture 3 days and 7 hours and is
ready
>74 % only. On the bottom bar is remark 0 PPS.

0 PPS just means it is taking longer then a second to do a pixel nothing
wrong there.

>Please, would you be so very kind to send me some information about my
>setting and advice if it is all O.K.? Or I make some fault (error)?

Nope no error, radiousity adds temendously to render time. you will soon
learn povray (and other ray tracers) will teach you patience on a scale
unknown in history.  :-)

btw  post your image on the binaries group for us when it finishes please
:-)

Post a reply to this message