POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray and Linux Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:41:24 EDT (-0400)
  Povray and Linux (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Jens
Subject: Povray and Linux
Date: 11 Nov 1998 08:22:55
Message: <36498faf.0@news.povray.org>
I have been trying to install PovRay in my Linux machine, to compare the
rendering speed under Linux with NT on the same machine, but since I am not
a Linux expert I didn't succed. I followed all the instructions on the
readme file but I cannot find the executable file 'povray', I even compiled
from the source code for Unix machines the Linux version and I got a file
called 'x-povray' which I can't execute at all. So if anybody has experience
in installing Povray under Linux, I'd be very very grateful for your help.

Thanks

Jens

Post a reply to this message

> I have been trying to install PovRay in my Linux machine, to compare the
> rendering speed under Linux with NT on the same machine, but since I am not
> a Linux expert I didn't succed. I followed all the instructions on the
> readme file but I cannot find the executable file 'povray', I even compiled
> from the source code for Unix machines the Linux version and I got a file
> called 'x-povray' which I can't execute at all. So if anybody has experience
> in installing Povray under Linux, I'd be very very grateful for your help.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jens

Hi Jens,

Just a guess.
Maybe the x-povray file isn't set to be executetable. Type

ls -rtl x-povray

and look if the permission for the user is set to x (something like
-rwxr--r--).
If not, you should use

chmod u+x x-povray

to change this.
I haven't compiled my povray version for linux myself (I use 3.02) but
downloaded it as binary from the www.povray.org site. If you want to use
3.1 there is a unofficial binary from Ron Parker at

http://www.users.ezwv.com/~mclilith/download/index.html

Greetings,

Marc

--