POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray and Linux : Re: Povray and Linux Server Time
13 Aug 2024 03:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray and Linux
From: Roland Mas
Date: 11 Nov 1998 08:47:10
Message: <m31zna1gqr.fsf@rpc66.acr.atr.co.jp>
"Jens" <al.### [at] whitehousegov> writes:

> I have been trying to install PovRay in my Linux machine, to compare the
> rendering speed under Linux with NT on the same machine, but since I am not
> a Linux expert I didn't succed. I followed all the instructions on the
> readme file but I cannot find the executable file 'povray', I even compiled
> from the source code for Unix machines the Linux version and I got a file
> called 'x-povray' which I can't execute at all. So if anybody has experience
> in installing Povray under Linux, I'd be very very grateful for your help.

Apart from the perissions problem, there are some remarks I have:
- the binary distributions include s-povray (for the console) and x-povray
(for X-Window);
- you can execute the program by giving the shell its full path, for
instance ./x-povray;
- maybe you expected a full user interface with an editor and all, but it
does not exist under Unix: you type your files in an editor, then run
povray on them.

Roland.
--
Les francophones m'appellent Roland Mas,
English speakers call me Rowlannd' Mass,