POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Powder-coated metal texture? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:25:22 EDT (-0400)
  Powder-coated metal texture? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Victor Wodecki
Subject: Powder-coated metal texture?
Date: 5 Aug 1998 06:11:17
Message: <35C8215E.21CD0C62@wantree7.com7.au7>
I'm trying to render a scene which has parts made of
powder-coated metal, and I can't get my texture to
look right.  Does anyone have a texture for this sort
of thing?

For those who don't know what I mean, it is a black
metal finish with small bumps.  All my attempts have
ended up looking like black sandpaper :-)

Victor.

(If replying via email, remove all digits from my email address first!)

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to render a scene which has parts made of
> powder-coated metal, and I can't get my texture to
> look right.  Does anyone have a texture for this sort
> of thing?
>
> For those who don't know what I mean, it is a black
> metal finish with small bumps.  All my attempts have
> ended up looking like black sandpaper :-)
>
> Victor.
>
> (If replying via email, remove all digits from my email address first!)

Have you tried a texture map instead of a single proceedural texture.
I think it would be the way to go since you can control the quantity
of roughness to smoothness in a way that's impossible with other texture
proceedures.

Something like this should work:

#declare SmoothBlackTex = whatever
#declare RoughBlackTex   = whatever

object{Part
texture{granite
texture_map{
[ 0 SmoothBlackTex ]
[.5 SmoothBlackTex ]
[.6 RoughBlackTex   ]
[ 1 SmoothBlackTex ]}scale your scale}}

Try different patterens, texture map float values, and scaling.
I think it should work though I didn't try it.

I'll tell you one thing I sure wish I still worked at a place that has
powder coating. That stuff is tough. A good coating takes 3 days
to a week in concentrated methylene chloride to strip properly while
ordinary spray paints take 3 min.

Happy rendering.

K.Tyler

Post a reply to this message

>I'm trying to render a scene which has parts made of
>powder-coated metal, and I can't get my texture to
>look right.  Does anyone have a texture for this sort
>of thing?
>
>For those who don't know what I mean, it is a black
>metal finish with small bumps.  All my attempts have
>ended up looking like black sandpaper :-)
>
>Victor.
>
>(If replying via email, remove all digits from my email address first!)

Mmm... can you help us to visualize what you're trying to do ?
What object are you trying to render ?  What kind of powder ?

Before you give more information, some hints :
-layered textures, one  layer for the metal, one for the powder,
more flexible to tune.
-try other patterns than "bumps"; crackle, by example, give great results.
-try a color map with a mix of very dark colors, instead of black...

Cheers,
Fabien.