POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sphere Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:24:33 EDT (-0400)
  sphere (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Remco de Korte
Subject: sphere
Date: 11 Sep 1998 23:06:31
Message: <35F9D5A6.ABA1C6E9@xs4all.nl>

I would like to build it from small parts like triangles and I know

about a number of points randomly scattered over the surface and then
make triangles with those.

TIA

Remco de Korte

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: sphere
Date: 11 Sep 1998 23:29:09
Message: <35F9DBF4.5F08A5C@pacbell.net>
Remco de Korte wrote:

> I would like to build it from small parts like triangles and I know

> about a number of points randomly scattered over the surface and then
> make triangles with those.
>
> TIA
>
> Remco de Korte

    In a way isn't that what lathes, sors, and prisms do ?

    If that's not a satisfactory approach there is a great little
Dos utility called Geodome that creates shapes of the same
name.
    It offers some user options that allow you to control
the number of nodes, spherical or cylindrical shape, and
direction scaling.
    It's output spits out triangles and optionally cylinders, acting
as cross supports, and Pov spheres as node connection points.
    Geodome might do what you want. If not the triangles are
there and can be moved or removed as needed to get the shape
you want
    If you can't located geodome I think it's on the POV-Ray
ftp server. If not it's a small program which I have on CD
so I could send you a copy.

    I took the time once to hand code a sphere like object with
triangles and I definitely don't recommend others try this.

Ken

Post a reply to this message

> > I would like to build it from small parts like triangles and I know

> thinking
> > about a number of points randomly scattered over the surface and
> then
> > make triangles with those.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Remco de Korte
>
>     In a way isn't that what lathes, sors, and prisms do ?
>
>     If that's not a satisfactory approach there is a great little
> Dos utility called Geodome that creates shapes of the same
> name.
>     It offers some user options that allow you to control
> the number of nodes, spherical or cylindrical shape, and
> direction scaling.
>     It's output spits out triangles and optionally cylinders, acting
> as cross supports, and Pov spheres as node connection points.
>     Geodome might do what you want. If not the triangles are
> there and can be moved or removed as needed to get the shape
> you want
>     If you can't located geodome I think it's on the POV-Ray
> ftp server. If not it's a small program which I have on CD
> so I could send you a copy.
>
>     I took the time once to hand code a sphere like object with
> triangles and I definitely don't recommend others try this.
>
> Ken

Thanks, I'll try that.

Regards,

Remco

Post a reply to this message

> I would like to build it from small parts like triangles and I know

> about a number of points randomly scattered over the surface and then
> make triangles with those.

You could use my rock making .INC file.  It's at

http://www.erols.com/vansickl/rock.htm

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message