POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sphere : Re: sphere Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:24:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere
From: Steven Pigeon
Date: 12 Sep 1998 18:23:54
Message: <35FAE6C2.B87E4C4D@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Remco de Korte wrote:
> >

> > I would like to build it from small parts like triangles and I know

> > about a number of points randomly scattered over the surface and then
> > make triangles with those.

There are numerous ways to do "spheres" with lots of polygons.The best I can
see is to use a "Buckminster-Fuller"-type polyedron.
You start with an icosaedron (20 faces... you know, d&d 20 sided
dice) then progressively divide the faces into 4 other triangles. You
keep dividing triangles until you've got a satisfying result.

IMHO, there's no real use to that. A sphere is much better repre-
sented when it's a z^2+y^2+X^2=r^2 form; especially if your
only goal is to render a simple sphere.

On the other hand, the buckminsterized sphere provide almost
uniform sampling points on the sphere; you dont have the point
concentration effect you have with polar/spheric coordinates. It
is also ideal for spheric fractals (or "rocks", either John's generator,
http://www.erols.com/vansickl/rock.htm, or my own generator,
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pigeon/pub/PovPage/RockGen/RockGen.html
(with source included)).

I first buckminsterized spheres to do uniform sampling, in the
context of environment mapping (to reduce rendering time).
Then for to fractal planets.

Best,

    S.
Steven Pigeon                     Ph. D. Student.
University of Montreal.
pig### [at] iroumontrealca           Topics: data compression,
pig### [at] jspumontrealca          signal processing,
ste### [at] researchattcom           non stationnary signals
                                  and wavelets.
         http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pigeon