POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : wish list : product Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  wish list : product (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Dan Connelly
Subject: wish list : product
Date: 20 Aug 1998 22:34:55
Message: <35DCCEC1.A799D79E@flash.net>
There already exists a pattern modifyer called average.

For example:

      density {
        average
        density_map {
          [1 spherical]
          [1 granite]
        }
      }

But it would be extremely useful to have a product
version, yielding :

      density {
        product
        density_map {
          [1 spherical]
          [1 granite]
        }
      }

Note a granite-spherical product would give a borderless
rendering of a flame (ie the hard border wouldn't be visible).

Or if a density_map and a color_map could be combined (which
they cannot -- see my previous note on crashes in POV 3.1b5),
then a similar affect could be achieved with the average,
but will all values of 0.5 or less mapped to zero color.

Dan

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/

Post a reply to this message

> But it would be extremely useful to have a product

> version, yielding :
>
>       density {
>         product
>         density_map {
>           [1 spherical]
>           [1 granite]
>         }
>       }
>
> Note a granite-spherical product would give a borderless
> rendering of a flame (ie the hard border wouldn't be visible).
> [part snipped]

> Dan
>
> --
> http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/

  Hi Dan,
    The 'product' operator is inherently built into the system - using
multiple densities in the same media - just as the 'addition' operator
is - using multiple media in the same interior.

To get the effect you are after use:

    media {
        density { spherical ... }
        density { granite ... }
    }

I've used exactly this sort of mapping in a couple of images I've posted
the code for ('Hazy Days ... ' to form clouds and in reply to a post
about fireplaces) if you want to see some working examples.

    All the best,
        Mike Andrews.