POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Faked Motion Blur Question Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Faked Motion Blur Question (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Tim Soderstrom
Subject: Faked Motion Blur Question
Date: 27 Jun 2004 23:13:29
Message: <pan.2004.06.28.03.13.57.78547@stic.net>
After taking a long hiatus from Pov (too long if you ask me :) I have
started actively creating scene for it again. My latest scene is one I am
proud of involving a simple scene of a bowling ball about ready to strike
pins. It looks quite nice, if I do say so myself :) but one problem I am
having is that I can't get the motion blur right.

My idea was to create a bunch of bowling balls adjusting the transparency
as it is blurred. This was my first use of a macro ever (Good Lord those
things are powerful!) and it worked...okay...but the biggest problems I
was having was that the blur didn't look believable. This, of course,
could be fixed by tuning my while loop.

What can't be fixed, however, is that as you turn the ball transparent you
can see the hollow holes I made using a difference and some cylinders. So
my question, in a long winded nutshell, is how do I make the ball appear
whole as it gets more and more transparent?

Cheers,

Tim

Post a reply to this message

"Tim Soderstrom" <tig### [at] sticnet> wrote in message
news:pan### [at] sticnet...
> After taking a long hiatus from Pov (too long if you ask me :)

It has been a long time indeed. Welcome back :)

> What can't be fixed, however, is that as you turn the ball transparent you
> can see the hollow holes I made using a difference and some cylinders. So
> my question, in a long winded nutshell, is how do I make the ball appear
> whole as it gets more and more transparent?

About the only suggestion I can give is a link to the TAG Q&T -
http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#motionblur

Cheers,

Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

> My idea was to create a bunch of bowling balls adjusting the
> transparency as it is blurred. This was my first use of a macro ever
> (Good Lord those things are powerful!) and it worked...okay...but the
> biggest problems I was having was that the blur didn't look
> believable. This, of course, could be fixed by tuning my while loop.

Hopefully you're already doing this, but remember to rotate the ball
rather than just translating it.

> What can't be fixed, however, is that as you turn the ball transparent
> you can see the hollow holes I made using a difference and some
> cylinders. So my question, in a long winded nutshell, is how do I make
> the ball appear whole as it gets more and more transparent?

I am not quite sure what you mean. Surely the idea is that you can see
the holes? If you mean the holes aren't becoming transparent when the
rest of the ball is, the solution is to put the transparent pigment on
the difference rather than the sphere; instead of:
difference {
  object {
    Sphere
    pigment { Transparent }
  }
  object { Cylinder1 }
  object { Cylinder2 }
  object { Cylinder3 }
}

do this:

difference {
  object { Sphere }
  object { Cylinder1 }
  object { Cylinder2 }
  object { Cylinder3 }
  pigment { Transparent }
}

Not sure if this is what you want; please ignore me if I'm stating the
obvious. Otherwise, I hope that helped.

Daniel

--
Misinformation followed us like a plague      You can beat us with wires
Nobody knew from time to time                You can beat us with chains

Post a reply to this message