POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is it possible to reduce colour banding for JPG output? : Is it possible to reduce colour banding for JPG output? Server Time: 24 Oct 2020 03:19:02 GMT
  Is it possible to reduce colour banding for JPG output?
From: Kima
Date: 6 Aug 2020 02:45:01
There are two ways to reduce colour banding in POV-RAY

1. 16-bit depth to have a more accurate spectrum of colours.

2. Dither to fake the colour gradient.

Unfortunately, neither of these methods is available if the output format is
JPG.

If we output a PNG file with +TH, and then, convert it to JPG, the colour
banding disappears.

I wonder why can't we directly save the same effect with JPG output.