POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is it possible to reduce colour banding for JPG output? : Is it possible to reduce colour banding for JPG output? Server Time
23 Apr 2024 07:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Is it possible to reduce colour banding for JPG output?
From: Kima
Date: 5 Aug 2020 22:45:01
Message: <web.5f2b6da22aa83c09ecc0fada0@news.povray.org>
There are two ways to reduce colour banding in POV-RAY

1. 16-bit depth to have a more accurate spectrum of colours.

2. Dither to fake the colour gradient.

Unfortunately, neither of these methods is available if the output format is
JPG.

If we output a PNG file with +TH, and then, convert it to JPG, the colour
banding disappears.

I wonder why can't we directly save the same effect with JPG output.