POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Offset surface : Re: Offset surface Server Time: 18 Jan 2019 00:59:23 GMT
  Re: Offset surface
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 20 Jul 2018 00:25:01
> Analogous to "parallel curve", but in three dimensions.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_curve
>
> What formula could I use to generate an "offset surface" for an
> ellipsoid/spheroid? (An ellipse rotated around a vertical axis.)
>
> Would a parametric function or implicit function be better or faster or
> simpler?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Mike

Since it's symmetric around the origin, just scale it.
If you need a "2D" part of it, just take a slice out of it.

I'm sure you could use a parametric, an isosurface, or possibly even a
polynomial if those are 3D.

As a related aside:
In Shapes2 there's a spheroid, and in Shapes3 there's facetted sphere and ring
sphere, since those might be fun to play with in conjunction with a globe.

http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/all_shapes/shapes3_45e.htm