POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Memory report bug. Server Time
14 May 2024 08:38:26 EDT (-0400)
  Memory report bug. (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Spider
Subject: Memory report bug.
Date: 25 May 1999 10:36:20
Message: <374AA737.1631321C@bahnhof.se>
When declaring a rather big grid of textures, POV doesn't report that it uses
this at all.

code is something like
#declare G = array[64][64]
looping through it and adding a different texture at each point. The texture i'm
using now is a average of onion, but this is probably not the thing.

POVray swaps a lot and uses 100Mb RAM (according to top in linux) and when it's
done it claims it used 7-11 Mb ... not something that I find interesting.

If code is necessaary I can provide it, but it's a rather big pice and not
something I can reduce easily.

--
//Spider    --  [ spi### [at] bahnhofse ]-[ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]
And the meek'll inherit what they damn well please

Post a reply to this message

> When declaring a rather big grid of textures, POV doesn't report that it uses
> this at all.
>
> code is something like
> #declare G = array[64][64]
> looping through it and adding a different texture at each point. The texture
i'm
> using now is a average of onion, but this is probably not the thing.
>
> POVray swaps a lot and uses 100Mb RAM (according to top in linux) and when
it's
> done it claims it used 7-11 Mb ... not something that I find interesting.
>
> If code is necessaary I can provide it, but it's a rather big pice and not
> something I can reduce easily.

The memory usage is in _one_ central place and all memory allocation goes
through it - this is a really strange bug...did you check how other platform
react?

    Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> The memory usage is in _one_ central place and all memory allocation goes
> through it - this is a really strange bug...did you check how other platform
> react?

Yep, windoze reports the same(starts to swap then claims it didn't use much RAM
at all)

--
//Spider    --  [ spi### [at] bahnhofse ]-[ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]
And the meek'll inherit what they damn well please
	Get ahead, go figure, go ahead and pull the trigger
		Everything under the gun
			--"Sisters Of Mercy" -- "Under The Gun"

Post a reply to this message

>> The memory usage is in _one_ central place and all memory allocation goes
>> through it - this is a really strange bug...did you check how other platform
>> react?
>
> Yep, windoze reports the same(starts to swap then claims it didn't use much
RAM
> at all)

Can you post the (mini-)scene in a text group or e-mail it to me please, I
would like to check it on the Mac (and find out what goes wrong, of course).

    Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

I'll try to find the source and send it to you.